Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Gunieas

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:02 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gunieas
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:28 pm 

How far will gunieas wonder from home? Will they disturb wild turkeys as far as passing along diseases?? (hubbys reason for not wanting gunieas.
Are they similar to chickens as far as care? any info and advice is appreciated :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:26 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

hi there,

i have been raising guinea fowls for about a year now, so far i have had no problems.
A guinea fowl is easy to take kare of its like a chicken they will stay where they r brought up, they'll eat any chook food i use golden chook pellets, you can also let them rome free in ur bakyard thats wat there breed for there snake killers.

you do need to handle them maybe 3 times a week just so they get use to u and they should let u pick them up after about 4 weeks.

they do need a shed or something for night time to sleep in.
once they hit 1 or 2 months old they start going black and wte pokerdots and they loose there hire oon there head and go blue but yea there great so u should think of geting some maybe 3 or 4 get a male to koz u can breed them wenever u wont to u get maybe $20 each so yea if u wont to no any thing elsa my emails daniel_rulz95@hotmail.com :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:04 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Hi tn,

I have 10 guineas a few years back. We are on 4 acres and the guineas used to do the rounds of the neighbourhood 'visiting'. They would fly off as a group, but always come back at night. They went up to a couple of kilometers! Eventually they caused a problem with a neighbour bu sitting on his verandah and 'singing' and pooing! So I had to clip their wings to keep them in. they will happinly roost in trees at night but when the females go broody they nest on the ground so are frequently killed by fox's or dogs. I used to pen mine each night to keep them safe and they learn quite easily that tha is what happens. They LOVE wheat so can be trained by feeding some every evening in the pen. As far as disease - I have no idea - ours were very healthy. The live quite happily with chooks, especially if brought up near them, but like to perch as high as possible at night.

NellyG

PS - I forgot to say that they can be VERY noisy - the reason I had to get rid of mine. It came to either the guineas went or my husband was going to! :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:22 pm 
It varies, I can have from 50 to 300 guineas on the ground at anytime, they never roam only only 500 metres from the chook yards/pens.

The only neighbour they do visit has assignment horses worth around the $100,000 mark. She loves them coming out, as they destroys the horse poo and the horse to not care at all, and sometimes even settles the horse down.

As for disease, if you have wild turkeys going by, then they would already have any possible disease already.