Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - hints for guinea fowl

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:08 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hints for guinea fowl
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:17 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

hi guys i hatched out 20 guinea fowl as i havnt had any guinea before . and hints on care and feeding they are about 2 weeks . how do i tell the girls from the boys . also we cilp our chooks wings so they dont wonder too far as i lost a good rooster this way recently because his wings were clip, is it possiable to do this with the guinea . also i have a few for sale when there a bit bigger. there yard ajoins my vegable patch what age should i let them out there and for how long and what time of the day is best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:56 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Hi jillross,

Hopefully Broken Bird will be along soon to tell you all about rearing them. I'm pretty sure I remember him saying he keeps them on heat for at least 6 weeks (may have been longer but I forget).

When I had guineas I clipped their wings to keep them at home, so it works. The odd one would still make their way over the fence and had to be 'got' (they can't work out how to get back!), but it stopped them flying off as a flock.

With the girls and boys, you can't tell until the girls start to make the 2 syllable 'come back' call. Boys only make the other 1 syllable calls (the girls all make these too, just to confuse you). The don't start that until they are approaching sexual maturity - around 12 weeks form memory, but they do vary a bit.

Good luck with them. They are cute crazy birds, but I loved mine!

NellyG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:27 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Yep 6 weeks on heatfeeding them turkey starter. Then 6 weeks locked in their permanent house to learn this is a safe predator proof place to live then they will know it is home when you start to free range them. Train them during this time with a special call whistle or bell and reward them with a treat of white millet. Then when they are on range and you want to lock them up just make your special signal and they will come running for their treat. If you don't lock them up at nightyou will gradually lose them to predators. Enjoy these zany birds, guineas rule!! 8)