Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Introducing new guineas to old

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:55 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:19 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I currently have 6 guineas (2 years old - 3 male and 3 female) and they had 2 chicks about 2 months ago. A friend took the chicks and I bought another 9 from another friend to go as well. She paid me back. Her husbands dog has started killing them (3 so far) and she rang today to ask if I could take them back. She is quite upset. I don't mind having more but how will the old guineas cope. I have a cage to lock them in but will the older ones kill the babies when I let them out. Any advice on how to introduce them safely or should I just sell them on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:48 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Your big guineas will accept the little ones if you cage the little ones in the big guinea house for six weeks where they can see each other but not touch. I have introduced keets this way many times. I let mine have the run of the guinea house when the adults are free ranging during the day and they soon learn to go back in their own cage before the adults return. My last lot ( this year) managed to escape into the big area after 5 weeks and all the adults seem quite o.k. with this and the babies are over the moon. When they are 12 weeks old ( in one more week) they will be allowed out into the big world. by then home will be imprinted on them and they have learnt my special call for a treat so I can get them in any time I need to go out.HTH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:48 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Hi Car252.

I just pop the littles in with the big during the night, I find mine are way more accepting than chooks, and havent had any fighting at all - however I'm not sure if I have any breeding age males..... so thaht may make a big difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:48 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

The eight 10 week old guineas arrive tomorrow. I will put them in a big cage (a cage off the back of a ute) for a few weeks. The big guineas are free roamers 24/7 and roost on the fence of the chook pen (6 foot up on a rail). They will be walking past the little pen and if I feed them near it they will hang around. How long do you think they will need to be penned before releasing? It is actually quite exciting to get them back as one is one that I put straddle leg callipers (sp??) on as a day old. I don't think I will recognise him, however.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:56 am 

Hi friends

I have bought a young guinea fowl female. She's white. I have also white male and 2 purple gray females which walk with him. The "family" attacks new female, and she's scared them. I' m wonder ,will the older male and females accept her?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:15 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

have u had her very long?
and can u show us some pics
would love to see her and the white male
tes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:33 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

arkadio wrote:
I have bought a young guinea fowl female. She's white. I have also white male and 2 purple gray females which walk with him. The "family" attacks new female, and she's scared them. I' m wonder ,will the older male and females accept her?

Guineas will sometimes just gang up on one member of the flock for no apparent reason. It is best to provide a safe refuge for that guinea to hide from the others inside the run such as a board against a wall, etc.

It happened to me and the problem resolved itself when I added more guineas to the flock, thereby upsetting the old pecking order (the picked on guinea was no longer bottom of the heap.) Solution: Get more guineas! :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:44 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

When I had my 10 they had all been raised together but one of the boys was constantly being attacked and beaten up bu the rest. It wasn't too may boys because I has 4 boys and 6 girls. I could never figure out why, but once breeding season was over they left him alone.

NellyG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:25 pm 

Hi,
In Poland we called them wite guineas. But in fact they are not white. They have got some cream feathers. :lol:

Yes I would like to buy more guineas. they'll be lavender and royal purple I think.
Thanks for advices :wink: