Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - killer turkey?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:51 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: killer turkey?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:43 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Will turkey hens kill chooks?

I just herthe turkey hen making a weird noise and found her picking at one of my hens, it was dead.

Now i dont know if the turkey killed her , or if she was already dead,
I had just fed them 3 hours ago and the hen was sitting in the nest box, she did look a little odd and i thought she may had been sick, but i didn't want to disturb her as she has just started laying and this is her fist time.

If she was sick would the turkey have killed her. or was she just picking at the dead body or are turkeys know for killing hens?

Concerned as i dont want a killer turkey on the loose with the chooks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:24 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

We have had our male turkey kill a full grown chook.

After watching them for a while I walked away and heard a squark and saw a
chook go flying through the air and spotted the turkey happily flicking chooks.So yes they are capable of killing a chook.More so in breeding season.
Best to keep these 2 types of poultry in separate yards.

Post subject: Apples and Oranges
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:34 pm 
Over the years on my humble acreage, I have seen turkey hens and chooks intermingle amicably, with very few problems. I guess some turkey hens are born troublemakers and may have anger management issues. In an interesting study by Schuster, Goldtop, and McNugget, it was found that chooks that were administered high doses of an International Roast derivative tended to do a little better in the science subjects whilst their gobbledy plod counterparts did better in the language department. But really - it comes down to personal preference. I have no issues with the turkeys or chooks. Two slices of bread, a sprinkle of salt and pepper - everyone's a winner here.

I'M BWOOK BGERK obe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:26 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I have found that yes, a turkey hen will kill a chook, especially during mating season, and especially if the turkeys are caged and a chook finds its way into the turkey pen.

This said, however, I have also had problems with turkey hens free-ranging and killing chooks.

Therefore, it is best to observe which turkeys are killing the chooks and either separate them or dispose of the turkeys that are causing the problem. Turkeys are like children: if one is doing it, they will all end up doing it.