Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Guine Fowls - Novice

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:36 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guine Fowls - Novice
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:32 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

We currently have 27 Guinea Fowls, they are currently mating and laying approx 3 eggs a day, we are incubating their eggs. Does anyone know the temperature they need to be incubated at and how long is it before they hatch. Is there any special requirements we need to know about before and after they hatch. Do the keets need a high protein diet once born if so for how long?
I do have a lot of questions as my husband and I are novices, if there is anybody out there who could help us I would be grateful. We are hoping to breed Guinea Fowl in the future as we have a property of 120acres.

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:49 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

27 and more coming.... OMG, I thought three or four would be enough to drive anyone crazy! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:03 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

:D Yes 27 Guinea Fowl, they are far enough away from the house as we have plenty of space. They are also housed at night, fear of predators having a feast. I forgot to mention we have 60 Geese, they make more noise when mating then the Guinea Fowl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:30 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Karen , Your guineas have started laying early and hence the 3 eggs/day only at this stage ( expect a lot more assuming half are females ) Incubate as per chooks , take longer, 28 days . Stop turning day 25.
Feed turkey starter . They are very hardy once they get over 2 weeks . Don't let them get cold or damp in the first 2 weeks , and they are flighty and need approaching slowly . Watch them if you brood using bantams they tend to wander off and just keep going ( they don't respond to mothers cluck like chooks ) Good luck

Post subject: Guinea Fowl
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:23 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks Martin for your knowledge of these intriguing birds. We are currently incubating geese eggs and have some success with hatching, we now have 17 new goslings. I would image incubating Guinea Fowl eggs would be very similar as the geese. We built a very large pen approx 1/2 acre in size to house the guinea fowl, and wouldn't be letting the keets out until they could defend for themselves. I read somewhere they lay 9mths of the year and if the lighting can be extended they would lay longer, have you heard of this. Do you know the mating season, the months, from when to when? And do you allow up to 3 days room storage before you incubate the eggs, as this is what we need to do for the geese eggs? :P

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:12 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Karen, You have had good results with the geese ( not that easy to incubate artifically ) You must have the humidity just right , which is a tad high for Guineas (geese 86-88 and guineas 85-87 F on the wet bulb and both at 90 for hatch ) These are fairly close so may be able to get away with combined hatching .
Typically Guineas will lay( Australia) from October to end of January , this may vary a bit depending where you are . I have no knowledge on using lights but I would say will work .
The fresher the eggs the better chance of hatching . I think you could extend the 3 days to a max of a week or 10 days and still get good results . Remember to turn eggs at least twice daily and keep dark and cool ( optimum temp for keeping is 13 deg C ) Waterfowl eggs dry out quicker and this will change hatch results . The guineas egg shell is VERY thick , since they are from arid areas and with lots of predation in the wild . They are great little birds , real characters . Truely beautiful from the neck down , with a head that only a mother could love.

Post subject: Guinea Fowl
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:28 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Martin I will try and dry storage the guinea fowls eggs for approx 5 days and incubate them, and see how I go, with some knowledge researching the internet and experience from lovely people as yourself I should have some keets in 28 days. I will post a picture on this site when they are born for your viewing. 8) I have also been told to determine male from female is just about looking at their knob on their head, small for females and a bit bigger for males, is there any other way of determining what sex they are. I have also been told there should be a ratio of 8 females to 1 male or thereabouts, is this correct.

Many thanks :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:06 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Karen, 28 days is a nominal , sometimes they will pip at 26 days on.
Yes you can tell the males by the knob and the wattles BUT it isn't that much of a difference to the untrained eye . Their vocalising is different also see some of the "stickies" re this ( at the top of this forum )
I would go more for 4 hens to each male But this depends on how you are keeping them . Free ranging I believe 1 to 8 is too many .
Storage of the eggs need not be " dry " as such just not in an area that is too moist .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:16 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks Martin once again.

Will mail you again if I come across any more questions that I know you might be able to answer for me.

Cheerio :)