Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Advice re bringing home guinea fowls

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:35 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:28 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

We have bought 6 ,6 month old Guineas to free range with our goats/alpacas/sheep hoping they will help reduce ticks. When we first bring them home should we keep them caged for a while..or just let them out in the paddock. We have a shed in the paddock(where the goats sleep) and plenty of trees and don't really want to pen them in...will this be ok?? The paddock fencing is dog proof. Are they likely to just disapear or will they stay in the paddock. Also is there a certain time of day that they are noisy ? What should we expect noise wise? Any advice would greatly appreciated. :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:56 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

You will need to keep them penned up for at least three or four weeks - the longer the better. Get them used to being fed grain every night and then when they are free ranging they will come back home for a feed in the evening and you can lock them up till morning. Unless you can establish this routine for them, they will probably just go as far from humans as they can get, i.e., go bush and you may never see them again.

There is a good overall advice for getting your guineas to come home here: http://www.peacocksaustralia.com/GUINEA ... TICLE.HTML

Have you read the sticky threads in the Turkeys and Guinea Fowl corner of this forum? There is also good advice there about how to build your pen so that the guineas can get in and out when they want to. (I haven't done this yet and still open and shut the pen gate myself.:oops:)

You mention having dog fences. We have sheep here and the guineas just go through the dog fences to the neighbours' if they feel like it. (I succeeded in training ours to come back at night but they have their run of the area in the daytime.) If there is chicken wire around a fence and they get startled, they may fly over the fence, but since they only fly when startled they don't seem to know how to get back and just walk backwards and forwards along the fenceline until they wear a groove in the ground. :roll: I find I have to get over the fence and chase them back which makes them fly back over.

Noisewise, I find them pretty quiet at night, unlike the neighbours' roosters, which crow before daybreak every morning. In the daytime, however, they call each other constantly and get a bit vocal with each other in the evening as they sort out their perches and settle down for the night. I find it reassuring as I can hear which part of the paddock they are in through the day, or if they have gone over to the neighbours' paddocks.

They will also cackle loudly if they find a predator and gang up to chase the predator away. The other day my twelve got together and chased a four-foot goanna away across the paddock.:shock: The alarm call is much louder than the calls to check where their companions are.

Hope this helps for starters. Welcome to the mad world of guinea fowl!

B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:05 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thankyou so much for the reply and great advice..the link was really helpful as well!! I am picking them up next week......so wish me luck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:23 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Yep, good luck and be sure to let us know how you are getting along! :wink: