Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Starting with Guinea Fowl

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:03 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:13 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I have been thinking about keeping geese or guinea fowl to try and keep the snakes away from the house. I live on about an acre and a half (in Queensland). I want to make sure that I have researched things thoroughly before I do anything though...

If I get these birds, will they decrease the number of native birds that I have around?

Would geese help keep the grass short, or is that expecting too much?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:54 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi, Cinefactus.

If you have ground-nesting species such as bower birds, yes, the guineas will probably intimidate them. Tree-dwelling species should be fine. (We had three king parrots on our veranda just yesterday - we don't feed the native birds anything but they still come around.)

Don't know about geese but I doubt they'd eat enough to keep your lawn down. :wink:

One thing you should consider with guineas is that they go wherever _they_ want. If your block is small they will spend as much time in your neighbours' yards/paddocks as in yours, possibly more. Ours range in a 100 - 150 m radius in all directions from their pen/our house.

This is not a problem for us because our neighbours houses are all at least 500 m away. However, we received six guinea fowl from a fellow who had tried to keep them on a 2-acre block. He had complaints from his neighbours about the guineas coming into their yard and scratching around their pool, basking on the bitumen road in front of the house, and otherwise making a nuisance of themselves.

So, if your neighbours' houses are all at the far end of their blocks, or you have natural barriers like green belts between you and them (our guineas tend to stick to the pastures and grass and do not cross very far into the bushland) and you get along well with the neighbours, you might be okay. Otherwise, guineas might not be good for your situation.

Hope this helps.

KreyziyGiniy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:47 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks for the tips. Sounds like I may or may not get away with it. I have trees along the fence lines, and lots of grass in my place, but certainly it would be possible to get across... Maybe I should go for the geese instead...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:46 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I had guineas in a 4 acre block and although I loved them they did range far and wide and upset the neighbours. Now why would someone be upset by 10 dear little guineas sitting on your verandah and singing to you (if you haven't heard them, it is a raucous screech :lol: ) and pooing on the concrete? So if you have neighbours anywhere close you will need to keep their wings clipped to keep them home. They are sweeeties though! They won't keep the snakes away either, though they will alert you to their presence.

Geese on small blocks are not recommended either due to the noise. to effectively mow, you need something like 6 to 10 per acre.

NellyG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:39 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks again for the tips :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:02 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi cinefactus, I have 6 beautiful guinea cocks on 2.5 acres and they NEVER leave my property. They have a wonderful garden to play in they have other poultry and 2 dogs and me to play with why would they want to leave? I have 5 ducks and 29 bantams all free ranging during the day but locked up at night.They are the most personality of all poultry and I just love them. Mine hardly ever make noise and certainly are no trouble. Guinea poo dries up and is not messy like ducks or chooks OR geese.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:10 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Yes, guineamum, I think you may be right about the guinea poo. It doesn't seem to stick to the bottom of your shoes like some poop. :wink:

Cinefactus, two of my boundaries aren't very distinct - just five strands of barbed wire as the neighbours are beef cattle people. These are very close to our house and the guineas just walk under the fence and back again all day. These are the back fences of some pretty big properties so the neighbours don't notice and visually it kind of makes me feel like I've got more land since the guineas have unofficially "claimed" it for me. :P

My other "boundaries" are a strip of bush along a dry gully with more pasture in it, and a two-metre strip of bladygrass between us and our small-block neighbours on one side. The guineas don't seem to want to "take the trouble" to cross those natural boundaries (touch wood).

It sounds like your boundaries have more natural obstacles and it is well worth a try. Guineas are worth it just for their entertainment value. The eggs are lovely and they keep the insects down.

And if all else fails ... they are reported to be the tastiest of all of the poultry. :twisted: The French prefer them to chicken. (Sorry if you are vegetarian.)