Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Guinea Fowl Questions

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:25 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guinea Fowl Questions
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:16 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I am interested in Guinea Fowl and was wondering about the "noise" issues. I have been reading a few web pages and books and it say that they screech when they are destressed. Is this often?
It also says that the other reason for their loud calls would be that they are calling for a mate, so if I had a pair or a trio would this alos reduse the noise?
I went and saw some Guineas free ranging at a local historic property/garden and they didn't seem to make any more noise than my chickens do.
I have read that the Guineas have been known to fly around the place and to the Neighbours, if I cliped their wings would it contain them enough to a pen.
thanks.
Nicholas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:07 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Personally, I don't think they make _that_ much noise, but they probably make more noise if you live next door to them. That is to say that in the end, it is not what the keeper thinks, but what the neighbours think that matters.

If you keep them in a pen, it will have to be enclosed from above with netting, etc. They are not really pen birds and need a very large space not to go stir crazy. (see http://www.peacocksaustralia.com/GUINEA ... TICLE.HTML)

If you let them freerange (recommended), you should still lock them up at night to protect them. Ideally, your pen should have an enclosed section and an open section (see the sticky references at the top of this forum section) so that they can get in and out at will.

You can clip their wings but they can still flap about and their first instinct is to fly away from danger. Clipping, however, leaves them vulnerable to predators.

They will range around the neighbourhood of their home base for several hundred metres. If your neighbours' houses or backyards are within this radius, they will go visiting. So the question becomes, how well do you get along with your neighbours?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:25 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I didn't think my guines were that noisy either. They would screech for half an hour or so then go off. They chatter loudly in response to any perceived threats, and the females do make a loud two tone call. But there are hepas of times when they are perfectly quiet. Kreyziy is right though - it is really up to the listener and how they perceive the noise. My husband (who doesn't mind roosters at all) couldn't stand the noise and that is really why I found them a new home.

I did clip the wings of mine and it did stop the flying off as a flock. The odd one would still get over the fence - they really are strong flyers even with a wing clipped. Mine still managed to get away from predators with a wing clipped as they startle easily and got far enough away to be safe. However is is a good idea to pen them each night.

NellyG