Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - quineas.. worth letting them sit? or take the eggs?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:28 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:51 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

i have a male and a female (not sure if males usually sit) sitting on what appears to be a huge clutch... eggs poking out both sides of the female...

i have heard that guineas are really bad mothers so thinking i should just take the eggs and incubate them.. they are sitting in the garden (yes the fox can get to the garden) under 2 sensor lights so possibly the safest part of the garden for the fox.. will chicks raised on free range survive?

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:58 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I think the guinea fowl reputation for being bad mothers comes from them not sitting in the first place, and especially not wanting to sit in human-made nesting boxes.

If they are already sitting, I think half the battle is already won. Once they _do_ sit, however, they risk life and limb to stay there (and often get eaten for their trouble).

I have two hens sitting on a nest in a woodpile in the garden right now but they won't sit in the coop. I have also lost guineas to the foxes, so what I have done is to hide the nest more and fortify it as much as possible. To do this I added branches and grass to the woodpile over and in front of the nest and made a makeshift fence around the whole woodpile with some starpickets, dogwire, and chicken wire.

Is the nest against a wall or in a nook already? Try leaning a board against something to make a kind of A-frame over the nest. Try surrounding it with a temporary fence of avian wire or similar wire material, several layers if you have enough materials. Just do anything to make it harder for a fox to get in.

Also, once the keets (= guinea chicks) hatch, gather them in a bucket or basket and move them to a pen with small wire with their mum, if possible. They do have a high attrition rate as keets.

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:21 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I think the guineas reputation as a poor mum is due tp the fact that they tend to head off, forgetting about the keets, so they fall prey to birds of prey etc. I don't think they have any problems sitting at all. If you pen them with the eggs they should hatch and raise them OK.

NellyG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:16 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

My experience has been somewhat different. It has been the eggs that they walked off and abandoned.

I tried moving the eggs from the woodpile into the pen and locking the hens in with them but they were not interested in sitting on them. As soon as I released the hens, they went back to their nest in the woodpile and started laying there, then they started sitting on them. In my case, getting them to sit in the first place has been the hardest part, so I have built a makeshift pen around them.

Using an incubator is not an option for me because of power restrictions, but if kiddo has a pen and is not happy making a makeshift pen in situ, perhaps he or she can try moving the eggs and hen to the pen and if the eggs are then abandoned, they can always be moved to the incubator as a last resort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:20 pm 
I would leave them they are great mums and do much better with mum.

K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:43 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Personally I take the eggs & hatch under a broody or in the incubator, incubator gives me a 95-100% hatchrate.
I also havent had a drama raising keets from artificial hatch either.
I havent had any luck with letting the female guineas hatch the keets out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:50 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I found a nest of 35 yesterday. Took 30 and put them in the incubator. When they hatch I'll give them to a broody chook to raise.
Will the guinea fowl continue to lay in the same spot where I left 5 eggs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:39 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

yes mine just keep laying in the same spot
even though I kept taking batches of 10 or so eggs away and putting them under broodies.
Originally I left them hoping the guineas would go broody but they didn't seem interested

But finally this week one has finally started setting
so I will see how she goes (there were 46 eggs there before she finally decided she had enough!)

Courage in your own"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:55 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Yes, shany, they seem to like at least three dozen before they get serious. Are yours in a well-protected place? They are easy targets (sitting ducks :P ) for foxes once they decide to sit seriously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:14 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

yes - mine have a shed (the old wood shed which we converted - wood now in the rain!)
they return home there every night because we trained them after we got them - white millet at bed time every night
so they come home and then we shut the door
works well!

Courage in your own"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:20 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Lucky for you! Mine come home to roost at night but although they lay the odd egg on the ground at home, they ignore the nesting box and try to make nests out in the long grass or the bush. Mr Goanna gets most of the eggs...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:06 am 

I remember when my guinea was sitting on eggs in the coop. :D
She had got o nest and 16 eggs in it. She had got 13 little kits and walked with her husband and babies everywhere.She was a very good mother--- father also was very friendly for kits. I hope that in that year she will start broody eggs again. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:40 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Djen dobri, arkadio. Here we have lots of snakes and crows and foxes to pick them off one by one. Mine started with 36 eggs, hatched 24 keets and now we are down to 11 keets at nine weeks. She's a very good mother but it's a harsh world out there. :? Hope she will get broody again within this season.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:26 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi Shany,
I have been looking for someone who breeds guineas in Vic. Do you ever sell your eggs or keets?

I am up in the Yarra Valley and recently managed to hatch 8 keets out of 48 eggs which I imported from QLD. (Hard to hatch scrambled eggs me thinks!) They are all doing well - first lot now about 6 weeks. They are in a shed with a completely wired-in yard attached. I can let them out into yet another yard with plenty of free range space, but am a bit reluctant. At what age do you think I could let them free range? I give mine mixed grain each evening - is the white millet better?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:03 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi Mollysmum
ooooh I am not the expert believe me! :geek: I get all my information from a book called "Gardening with Guineas" by Jeannette S Ferguson and her website is http://www.guineafowl.com.
I started with 6 adult guineas from Trevor (Brokenbird) - dogs killed 3.
I currently have 2 lavender keets (1 month old) being raised by a Silkie mum and I have eggs under another broody due 13th January and more under one of the guineas due end of January.
The white millet is only a treat! I used it to train my first lot to come home every evening.So....they were locked in for the 1st two months and every evening around 5 or 6 pm I rang the doorbell in their pen (cheap house doorbell from Bunnings) and then put the white millet down and their normal food - Game Bird Breeder pellets.
After 2 months I let them out and Voila - they come home to the doorbell chime! :lol:

I feed the keets Game Bird Starter or you can use Turkey starter (they are higher in protein than chick starter).
I will probably train this next lot with the millet when they are a bit older but I'm not sure when yet because the Silkie mum is very attached to them at this stage....
If I get lots of keets from this next batch I will sell some if you are interested
I hope this has been some help,
Shannon