Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - help with turkey eggs

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:02 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: help with turkey eggs
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:23 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

hi there now these turkeys are my sons and they have laid 2 eggs what do we do with them we want to get baby chicks do we leave them for her

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:39 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

If you want the eggs to hatch, just leave them. The hen will lay as many as she thinks necessary and then sit on them.

Have you got a Male turkey? Don't mean to sound rude but you need one to make babies.

Also be aware turkey hens do not make the best mothers, and may abandon the chicks if this get to difficult and you may have to hand raise them, Are you ready for that? turkey chicks are not the easiest of baby animals to raise.

Post subject: turkey eggs
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:42 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

hi there queen
yep son has 3 turkeys
2 hens and 1 gobbler

and yes he is ready incase the mum rejects them
and no you didnt sound rude at all my questions are proberly dumb
but im just getting into poultry myself (barnevelders)
so we have decided the dogs need to go so we can breed them without worrying about the dog killing any more of my babys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:42 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Hiya Brook! Once your girls start to sit...they will lay lots of eggs could be 10-15 maybe more...take your Gobbler away, you dont want him anywhere near your girls and especially when your babies hatch cause lots of times they do kill them. And if the mums don't look after the poults they only need to be raised just like chicks....I never let any of my girls hatch out any I always put them in an incubator and hand raised them and I had no troubles....just have to remember to keep them away from the chook cause they can get blackhead pretty easy. :lol:

Post subject: turkeys
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:52 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

hi there well son got 2 m ore turkeys today from the same flock and the new one we got today went straight to the eggs and sat on them but there is only 2 there so is it to early for one of them to sit on them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:55 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

No she will keep laying and sitting or she may just lay the two its hard to tell especially if they are young birds. If shes sitting you could always get some more eggs for her to sit on!

Post subject: eggs
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:02 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

well she didnt lay the eggs the other female turkey did

son wants to put normal chook eggs under her but i said she wont take to them ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:47 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Well, I don't have much experience with turkeys but we have two hens and a gobbler and when they started laying eggs we just left them to it. We ended up with both hens and the gobbler :shock: all sitting on about 10 eggs each. The gobbler hatched out two poults a few days ago and so far seems to be doing a great job of looking after them (although one of the hens also tries to take them over for a while sometimes) This is our first time breeding turkeys though so I don't know if all turkeys will act as ours are.
Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:21 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

The only thing would be the possibility of blackhead being transfered because the eggs are porious and turkeys are prone to dropping dead from that. Ive known people to raise chooks and turkeys in the same pens and no problem then have known others where they just cant raise them because of it. Me personally Ive never had a problem with it although my turkeys where always well away from anywhere that my chooks went (penned my turkeys and free ranged my chooks). I wouldnt mix chook and turkey eggs in the same batch all the same just in case...same as I wouldnt put turkey eggs under chooks although some people do....just saves you some heart ache!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:12 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

We keep our turkeys and chooks completely separate, but still have to be very careful with the poults. Our bronze wings have always managed to bring up their poults successfully, although they are a bit club footed at times and stand on the littlies while they are very small. Something to keep an eye on is once the poults are large enough to go out into the world with their mum, the gobbler ( and sometimes the other hens) will really go for her and when she's down take turns in ravishing her. Her back can be ripped to shreds - this has happened a couple of times to our hens. Now I always put a saddle on any hens that have been confined for a sit and finally let out to join the mob after about 8-10 weeks. Just google 'turkey saddle' and you can see what they look like - I just cut them out of an old (thick) piece of fabric.
good luck
Patricia