Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Sexing Turkey Poults

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:19 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sexing Turkey Poults
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:43 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

At about what age can you generally tell what sex a turkey poult is? I have three bronze turkeys, one of them is blonde. (From what the breeder has told me, i know next to nothing about turkey's so i might sound dumb.)

The blonde one is a bit bigger than the other two, they are about 9ish weeks old now i think.

Thanks for any help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:33 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Genuinesqueak,

Sorry you haven't had a reply yet and I'm not much help. :?

Perhaps if you were able to post some photos of your poults someone who keeps turkeys could tell your males from females. :)

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:44 am 
Wise One
Wise One

sorry I missed this one.

Turkey poults show feather colour difference, but as a guide, if the poults are from the same clutch, the bigger ones will be the boys.

Also to the trained eye, the length of leg gives a good indicator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:00 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

We have found that at about this ages the Toms start to lose the feathers around their head and becomes noticably redder than the hens heads. Sometimes the Toms will also start puffing up their feather feathers adn prancing about. THat is a dead giveaway that they are a tom. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:53 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Sugar Farmer wrote:
We have found that at about this ages the Toms start to lose the feathers around their head and becomes noticably redder than the hens heads. Sometimes the Toms will also start puffing up their feather feathers adn prancing about. THat is a dead giveaway that they are a tom. :)
:)
Hi there, I breed Turkeys and have done for a little while, there are times when you think you know but als the odds have beaten you..none of my toms/stags/gobblers have had a red head at nine weeks, and they have never lost their feathers around their necks before the 25th week at 6 months you can honestly say I got right or I got it wrong.
I take a guess at the fact that boys will start to strut their strength around 9 to 10 weeks, but then again so do the girls often do it too to show off, I often go by the snoggle which is above the nose or beak, if it is an upright v shape it is more than likely a girl, but I have noticed that turkeys talk in decibels (sound strength) the girls sound out in double decibels and the boys in single...the other is the leg length and which one where the pants, as girls have skirts, its really hard to sex them correctly until the day the boys try to gobble, I mimmick the gobblers quite often to see which poults take notice and place a bet on them more or less.
There is another way if they come in from one nesting ( assuming there is only one hen nesting) that the tallest one is the stag/Tom/Gobbler/Jack, then there is the other which is the prettiest one is often the boy.
Now I have Narragnsett, Lavender (Blue), Bronze, Buff, White and Black boys which I put over the girls I wish them to mate and still make mistakes at guessing, never to forget that the hens also get the beards as two of mine have and I know boys cant lay eggs. Never allow you boys to remain with the girls when the poults are due as they will stomp the bubs to death. GOOD LUCK!!! :lol: :roll: