Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - How to move a broody guinea fowl?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:16 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:57 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

My guinea has gone broody but I know there is a fox den nearby with a mum and 3 cubs in it and she will need to feed them and teach them to hunt soon. So, I want to move the guinea to a small coop I have spare but everytime I go near her she is scary!

What should I do? Leave her and hope the fox is as scared as I am / try to move her (how bad can it get?) or try to stop her brooding altogether as she is on 6 old eggs (the newer ones are in my incubator) and she was on and off them for 3-4days anyway so i doubt they will hatch...

In the meantime I am waiting for my neighbours to complain as the male guinea makes a right old racket when he goes to roost and his partner won't come with him!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:22 pm 
You shouldn't move her, she will not sit back on the eggs, sorry.

K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:40 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

It's true, she won't move. Maybe if you want to go to the trouble, you could put a chicken wire fence or run around her, and try to cover it so she's in caged, but the chances are she'll get frightened and leave the eggs, i tried this twice and the first one took to it fine, the second went spastic!

I'd move her and take her eggs, I've found they don't make great mums anyway.

the one thing i have found that works is i left a small aviary (1M X 2M) on the lawn area around the chooks and let the grass grow wild in it, the guinea hen went in and laid a clutch, sat and hatched her keets, i just locked her at night as i would the chooks.

Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:58 pm 
Nick wrote:
the one thing i have found that works is i left a small aviary (1M X 2M) on the lawn area around the chooks and let the grass grow wild in it, the guinea hen went in and laid a clutch, sat and hatched her keets, i just locked her at night as i would the chooks.
Nick

this the best way

but I do not let any of my guineas fowl sit, to valuable to lose her or the eggs, so I incubate all my eggs and get about a 80% rate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:46 am 
mine sit & hatch out dozens ever year without any problems :D

K