Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Turkey's fighting!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:51 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Turkey's fighting!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:04 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi everyone, I just found this sight and I am so happy about it. I have so many questions.

First one is, why are my turkey's fight all of a sudden? I have a 12 year old Royal Palm(tom) and 2 one year old White Hollens( hens I think) and 2 4 month old Royals Palms(one tom, one hen). Now I think both white hollens are hens, I know at least one is because I am getting eggs and one of the young Royal palms is a tom. But all of a sudden they are all fighting? The white hollens are spreading their tail feathers and are going at it like toms and the babies are getting involved too! They are all picking on my old man.

Second question is, do the hens spread their tails and act like the toms? I'm pulling my hair out with these guys! Help!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:02 pm 
sorry it is that time of the year, and by "parading" or "showing off" this normally is all that happens, to organise the pecking order, (the biggest wins).

But

if the turkeys are the same size when "parading" then a fight might happen (the strongest wins).

And yes girls will fight to be the "top dog", do not worry about it, just keep an eye out of anyone that gets hurt. The reason, if one goes down (he or she) it will be pack raped to death. To show the boys that the girls are ready to mate, she will lay down and he will mount her, after which she will get up, if she does not get up, he will do it again and again and again (you get the idea).

If you can, separate the boys and girls into breeding group, but ensure there is a spare pen between them, or they will continue to fight thru the fence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:17 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Happened with my buffs last year too :( The young Toms all went for the biggest one and knocked him about silly...head all beaten and bleeding....I removed him and left the others and had no probs after that....the good thing that came out of that tho is the only thing I had to treat him with was some pink eye spray for my cattle (antibiotic spray costs about $24) he had a blue head for awhile but healed him up nicley :D