Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Hatching guineas under a broody chook

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:29 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:21 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Could anyone tell me if it is possible to hatch guinea fowl eggs under a chicken? My feeling is that the humidity and the temperature wouldn't be quite right, but I was wondering if anyone had had any succuss with this?
Patricia

Post subject: guineas
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:54 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Yes you can, no problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:12 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Yes, no problem.

I gave eight guinea eggs to a friend with a broody chook recently and seven hatched out. :D

The only thing to watch is the 28-day guinea incubation period - he said the hen looked a bit worried when 21 days passed and the eggs still hadn't hatched...but she stuck it out and kept sitting anyway. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:06 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks for that info. I was also wondering if they do well in the colder climes. All guinea fowl seem to come from NSW or Qld!! Will I need to do anything special in winter - we do get down to freezing here.
Patricia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:32 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

We do get frost here. Usually about seven or eight times through the winter. However, this year we only got one decent frosting around the house and chook pen.

This is only my first season with guineas but they seemed to handle it okay. They were sleeping on the ground in the chook pen at that stage and they just huddled close together.

I also have a chookhouse they can go into for shelter but they don't seem to hang around in there much, except when it rains (not often here). There is a perch in there but it is too small for all of them to fit onto. I have since put up some branches outside in the chook pen for perches and now most of them sleep there.

So, perhaps a sheltered chicken coop with a good size perch would be a good idea.

How many are you planning to hatch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:01 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I have bought 2 x 2 doz. First 2 doz. due to hatch tomorrow, although only 15 of them were fertile and 2 or 3 others look a bit suss. One has just hatched 3 days early but no other action as yet. The next 2 doz have just arrived and I will put them in as soon as these are out.
I do have a shed put aside for these little birds, once they are big enough, and it has a wired in yard attached. Plenty of perches inside. I usually winter-proof all my pens anyway to keep out the cold a bit. So we will have to just give it a go.
I am under attack from all sides with foxes at present, so I am reluctant to let them go too far afield once they grow. I am in the process of reinforcing their free range 1/2 acre that they will share with the chickens, so once that is done they should be old enough to go out.
Thanks for the feedback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:56 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Sounds great. While you are waiting, this might be helpful:

http://www.peacocksaustralia.com/GUINEA ... TICLE.HTML

Also, did you read the links from the stickies at the top of this forum?

I found this one particularly useful, especially the FAQ and links near the bottom:

http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/#pictures

You will need the smaller chicken wire to keep keets in; they are very small and can fit through the larger wire for the first three months or so. I lost four out of eight keets that way earlier this season.

By the time they can fly, you will also need to cover the yard or pen so the guineas don't just fly off as soon as they are big enough, although since yours are starting from very young, this may not be an issue. It is more of a problem when you start with older birds. I used anti-bird netting, the kind used to keep birds off fruit, etc.

Once they are settled into a pattern of coming home every evening, try making part of your pen like the one in frit's photos, i.e., a five or six foot high fence open to the sky with a rail around the top, when they are big enough the guineas can fly up to the rail to range outside and come home when they feel like it. The rail doesn't have to go all the way around; a small section should be enough.

This will keep the pen fox-proof and save you having to worry about locking them in every night or opening it up for them every morning.

It took a while for mine to cotton on but they finally worked out how to use the rail and now I don't have to worry about rounding them up or about forgetting to close the gate at night any more. The gate stays shut now except when I need to get in, and the guineas come home for a feed and roost in the pen at night on their own and are out and about before I get up in the morning. :D

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:26 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I had a look at that info - and frit's pen - all very informative. He appears to keep his locked up during winter (although snow WE don't have!!).

Hoddles Creek is very hilly and my pens and roaming areas are quite steep - lots of foliage. Where I will keep the keets there is a house with an attached wired-in yard. There is just a chook-size hole (that I can close off) in the yard fence which gives them access to a large area of trees etc. Do you think they would come back through that hole in the fence at night - once they are old enough to free range?

Once in the yard I can put up perches - although the wire roof is only about 1800 high...and less is some places. We are a bit 'chewing gum and string' here, as these yards were built by a previous owner probably 20 years ago and get pelted at times by falling limbs from the surrounding trees!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:37 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I am sure your keets (and adults) will make use of the hole. Mine make use of any holes big enough to fit through, although I tend to wire the holes shut if I can find them. A hole big enough for an adult guinea is probably big enough for a fox or maybe even a dingo.

My concern with the gate or holes is that I sometimes forget to close the gate if I am busy and I can't always wait for them all to come home. That's why the open top with a perch on the lip is convenient - for me and for them. But even without the open top, if one or two are left out they will usually fly to the roof of the pen and just roost there for the night.

I am a bit like you in that I inherited an old pen and coop with lots of holes, etc. My "perches" are just fairly straight eucalypt branches that fell off the nearby trees attached to the fence using bits of old wire I found around the place. They are about 120 cm (four feet) off the ground. I made a kind of double "T" (TT) in one corner with a long diagonal spanning the corner and two shorter branches between the diagonal and the walls (if that makes sense). It is almost a platform (with big holes for poo to fall through. :wink: ) I made single branch perches in other corners of the pen, but they seem to prefer all crowding onto the double T.

Anyway, good luck with it all. Let us know how you get on with the hatching. Two of my hens have made a nest outside the pen, which I had to then fortify, but I think the eggs may have hatched today. :D Now I have to work out how to get the keets to the pen and keep them there. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:11 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Only got 6 live out of the first 2 doz. 6 died in the shell just before hatching. I was very careful with the temp and the humidity....but who's to know. I now have the other 24 eggs in...so hopefully better results. Whatever happens, I just hope to get enough to breed. Do you cull them down to 1 male to a few females...bit of a problem if they pair up with ones they have grown up with from the same hatch. Those from this first hatch all have white chests, so presume they are 'pied'. Probably not good to let these inter-breed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:35 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Sorry to hear about the low hatch rate. Hope you have better luck with the next batch. (I don't have the option of running an incubator here, but it sounds like it takes a few tries to get the "knack".)

No need to cull the males. Guinea cocks don't fight nearly as fiercely as chicken roosters. The first link I mentioned above recommends a 60/40 ratio of males to females which is about what you will get naturally. Mine run fine like that. However, I have heard other members here mention different ratios, so it may be best to wait for other opinions on that (or start a new thread with that specific question to get more responses).

Most of the birds you buy will be pied with white feathers here and there to greater or lesser extent. Then occasionally you get one or two nearly solid. You could conceivably identify all of your guineas individually by their pied markings, but it probably isn't worth the effort.

I was worried about inbreeding, too, so I got my adults and keets from three different sources. But I have since realised that guineas lay their eggs and sit on them communally so unless your source of eggs only had one hen laying at the time, eggs from the same batch may not even be related.

Unless you are a serious breeder with lots of separate coops, it's pretty hard to control who breeds with whom in a guinea flock. It is also very difficult to sex guineas until they are quite mature. If you keep the keets from each hatch separate from keets from other hatches they will be more likely to form bonds with other keets from that same hatch, which is exactly what you want to avoid.

So, unless you have facitilties to separate your birds individually until mature, your best bet is probably to mix all of your keets from the different hatches in together like I did and hope they pair up naturally outside their own lines. I suspect nature has its own way of sorting these things out. If viability turns out to be low, I intend to source some different lines to add new blood to the "mix" so to speak. (In your case, you could buy some more eggs from a different source.)

That's just my view. I hope some others will add their experiences and opinions to this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:26 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks for all your help. The hatch was disappointing. I have been hatching eggs for years....but don't think I have ever got good at it!! I even have an automatic turner and hygrometer now, but still not getting very good results - even with my chickens. Anyway, I still keep at it and one day I may surprise myself. Thanks for the time you've spent answering my queries.