Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Turkey Nesting boxes?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:27 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Turkey Nesting boxes?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:13 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I know I have seen info on this somewhere but I cannot find it. We will be getting some turkey hens in the next month or so and I am wanting some info on turkey nests. How big do they need to be ? or if not built nesting boxes what do others use for their turkeys? do they need to be high off the floor or closer to the floor. We are rebuilding the Turkey house and don't know where to start . we may also be getting another tom or gobbler with them. This will be the first time we have had turkey hens and any advice will be much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:10 am 
Flock Master
Flock Master

I was in a similar situation a while back, we only ever had free range turkeys which found their own nests in scrub around the farm. When i confined them i tried to replicate this by using piles of branches that they could hide under/in. The other thing that worked very well was just laying a sheet of iron against the wall in the corner making a dark place for them, they just made a nest in the dirt which, i think helps with humidity because the ground contains a small amount of moisture.good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:17 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thank you William we wish we could free range ours but our Landlord wont allow us to so until we can afford to buy our own land we are doing our best to keep our poultry happy in their houses. luckily it is quite large and there is plenty of room in it.