Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Please help! I'd like to buy some turkey eggs!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:01 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:51 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

:D Hello All :lol:
I am getting into Chooks, i am already a Mad Keen veggie gardener. I would love to also get into Turkeys. I am told if you hand rear them they can be friendly birds if prone to be a little "Paris Hilton Blond" at times. They seem to be a Character Pet. If there is anyone else in my area that shows them, i may even be tempted to show them, providing i can raise anything worth showing.
My one and biggest problem is that the only Turkeys i can find in my area or anywhere in S.A are whities and so inbred that they make the Turkey photo's i have seen on this forum seem almost Harrison Ford good looking. :shock:
Can anyone help me out with some chicks or eggs, no hurry, i have all broodies full of eggs at the moment (muskovies and my back yard chookies, and silkies). Raising them, apart from needing some technical advice, holds no fears, as after rearing baby parrots, i feel prepared for birdy slog! :wink:

An interesting colour would be fun, but lets face it, i would be content with a healthy genetically sound white mob! If i can get chicks or eggs from a couple of different bloodlines it would be even better, so i can avoid inbreeding. My hubby just enlarged the Duck enclosure, and has promised my a Turkey Palace, and i have been told that as i have Muscovies( and they are the original ducky root rats) i can't really have any more ducks, but they get on alright with Turkey's. It seems a shame to have such a cool yard, big pond, shady pepper tree and have only 3 muskovies in it. So i have the space, and a long held desire for a few turkey's, and maybe someone out there could sell me something to fit in.
I can't afford full grown as i am on a parenting pension (hence the desire to be as self-sufficient as i can be) but young chickies or eggs would be really cool. My kids are all excited now....I said if i get any, and if they help me, i'll let them have a special "gobbly" pet each. It will be fun to be a fly on the wall of THAT Show and Tell!! :lol:
Toni.

Last edited by shaggycat08 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Talk turkey
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:32 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Wow, i've been reading some more posts, and what a lot of people want Turkeys. I never realised how many interested people there were in Turkey"s.
Toni.

Post subject: Thanks for the answers
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:57 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks for the help and replies, i have found some eggs on my own, i hope the others out there looking have luck in finding some. I will enjoy my wee toe peckers regardless, and share them with my friends with love and laughter.