Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - help !! Turkey laying eggs and not sitting?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:27 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:21 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

This is the first time our turkey hens have laid eggs and so far we have six eggs but the hen is not sitting on them. Do I leave them there and hope she eventually sits ? What do i do? We are concerned that the eggs may get too cold? Please help any advice will be greatly appreciated
Cheekychooky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:33 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

You havn't had much experience with poultry have you :lol:

Turkeys will generally lay around 12-20 eggs and then go broody. It take about 2 days for the egg to start to develop so just sitting on them to lay an egg won't start the process. Just leave her to do her own thing it will work out in the end. If you are really keen you could write the dates on the eggs in pencil so if she lays heaps you could remove the oldest ones. I have had a goose this year that layed about 30-35 eggs in one nest before going broody. The eggs were layed over two months and the oldest ones started blowing up within 2 weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:45 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

hehehe this is our first time with turkeys and we are extremely excited that we have eggs .....omg i thought hubby was going to have a fit we are worse than a pair of broody hens about "OUR" babies to be. :lol: when we first got turkeys they were My turkeys ...now that there are eggs hubby says they are our turkeys :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:19 pm 

Do you have just the one female or a male and a few females togethe, because i have the same problem i have a male and three females in together hens are laying eggs but not sitting on them

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:50 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

hello farmer, you have reactivated a thread taht is several years old :P

i don't know much about turkeys but i think that the fact that they are laying eggs DOES NOT mean that they will necessarily go broody.................its just egg laying time of year. they will go broody in their own time when the daylight ratios mmake the correct hormone reactions in their body............meanwhile collect the eggs and enjoy eating them. you could always try leaving a few eggs to encourage the bird to sit on them or use fake eggs would be even better.