Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Quail Feed Protein Content

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:15 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:59 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

A laying quail needs (according to the internet) 26-28% protien.

Current local market has 14% protein feed which weighs 50kg.
Does this mean that the 50kg contains 1% protein per 3.57kg or it contains 14% protein per serving? (Regardless of quantity/weight served)

If it contains 14% protein per serving and if I feed them twice a day, does it imply that they get 28% protein a day?

When we say also a quail needs about 26-28% protein, does it mean per feeding or per day?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:40 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

!4 % means that no matter how much of that feed they eat, 14% of the nutrient will come from protein.
More food means more protein, more of the other nutrients and more energy (k cals) but the percentage 14% remains the same.
26 - 28 % protein seems too high for a mature bird. Barastoc recommend 28% to 6 weeks and 18% for breeding/laying birds.
Lauke Mills which has a reputation as a premium feed producer recommends similar levels of protein - higher % for hatch to 6 weeks, then a lower % for breeding/laying.

http://www.lauckemills.com.au/sites/def ... %20WEB.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:36 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

sue55 wrote:
!4 % means that no matter how much of that feed they eat, 14% of the nutrient will come from protein.
More food means more protein, more of the other nutrients and more energy (k cals) but the percentage 14% remains the same.
26 - 28 % protein seems too high for a mature bird. Barastoc recommend 28% to 6 weeks and 18% for breeding/laying birds.
Lauke Mills which has a reputation as a premium feed producer recommends similar levels of protein - higher % for hatch to 6 weeks, then a lower % for breeding/laying.
http://www.lauckemills.com.au/sites/def ... %20WEB.pdf

Just checked the website and yeah, the feed i'm using is just 1-2% shy from the recommended protein.
I might have to up it up.
I have locally available: copra meal, yellow corn meal and soy meal..

What bothers' me is that majority of the info in the net suggests 26-28%. Any idea on why is that?

Some of my quail hens are not laying so i am thinking that i have too low of a protein feed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:07 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Sue is right, 14% stays the same no matter how much they eat.

I give mine red hen chick starter (23% protein) with added shell grit and they lay like machines. That is more protein than suggested but it is recommended as an alternative by the laucke's website linked above. It does depend on who you ask, this website recommends 24%: https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/asset ... -quail.pdf

If you think protein is the problem maybe mix some soy meal with their food or put some in a separate bowl and see if they like it. If you are mixing it in then you would need to add about 1 part soy meal (if it is ~45% protein) to three parts regular feed (14% protein) to get a ~22% protein feed.

There are other things that could be affecting their laying, like moulting or age. Could that be part of the reason?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:10 am 
Great Game
Great Game

When I had quail (just a few years back: didn't have enough pens for the colour separation I wanted so stopped raising them) I didn't take them off Laucke Gamebird Starter - Day 1 to forever. 28% protein, good balance of everything else, no antibiotics or cocci medication at all, so no big reason to change to anything else.