Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - things i need to know before i hatch turkeys

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:27 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:07 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Hi,
I have a friend who is giving me some fertile turkey eggs next time we see each other. I am only planning on keeping two girls, all the others will go back to her or to the freezer.
Just wanted to know what i can expect. I have heard that they can be noisy but i have a couple of noisy chooks that would still win that title i bet. Also That they are very good at flying, thats okay, half my flock of chooks sleep in the large tree in my yard anyway :shock:
However, will they fly into my neighbours properties? Will they get on with the chooks if they are raised with baby chickens from the get go?
Are there any good books about raising/keeping turkeys?
Any advice is greatly appreciated
Sigrid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:19 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Hi Sig , Turkeys ?? Your worse than me !
They do fly and poults can be an issue with chooks and blackhead . Not sure they would be the go in a back yard !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:23 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

I got talked into them (not hard :wink: ). The bronze hens are sooooo pretty. Maybe i can trim one wing to stop them flying. I have heard about blackhead but the girl i am getting them off raises hers with chooks anyway.
Might have to go shopping for a book after work tonight :D
Sigrid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:10 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Hiya Sig...make sure you keep your poults away from any other poultry cause they will drop dead from blackhead....I kept my turkeys penned and chooks free ranged around them and they were fine other people I know they only had to smell a chook and they carked it! They do wander alot too....my father in law used to have some as well and he said his would be half way to town before he knew it....but on the other hand they probably wouldnt go too far away from the nice lady who feeds them :) Other than that they are just as easy as chicks to raise....they only prob they do get it splayed legs and crooked toes but theres a post on here that tell you a really good way to fix that :wink: As for the noise Im on acerage and knowbody cared...I thought they were very melodic sounding especially as poults...they whistled more than chirped! Most of all I enjoyed having them heaps great bird!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:24 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

oh oh, looks like i mght need to buy ANOTHER coop! :shock: is it too late to change what i want for Christmas?!?!?!
I will have to do a bit of reading on blackhead and have some Christmas shopping to do tomorrow so i will get a book about turkeys.
Even if i cant keep them now, i will definately get some when i have a big country property (any single farmers out there? :wink: )
They are so pretty and i love big birds.
Looks like i will hit the books tomorrow
Thanks for the tips
Sigrid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:16 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I'm here to offer a differing opinion. I have grown up with turkeys and and currently have turkeys. We have always had turkeys and chooks together and I have never seen blackhead in 40 years. We find that we are actually becoming over run with turkeys, ours breed so well.

Some tips for managing poults as they are a bit fragile.
1. Keep them off in a pen off the ground for at least the first 2 weeks.
2. Put coccidiosos preventative in their water (from your vet, chooks do carry this disease and turkey poults will die of it) at regular intervals.
3. Feed Turkey Starter for the first few months. YOu might have to tap the feed with your finger initially to teach them to eat. Start on greens after the first week - chopped lettuce works a treat for the littlies.
4. Keep their pen clean.
5. ensure the brooder is the right temp, too hot is not good for them.
6. Prepare to fall in love. Turkey poults are very interactive. MUch more so than chickens. They will think of you as their mother and want to be with all the time.

If you want to keep an adult turkey in your backyard you may need to clip their wings as they do fly. Turkeys are huge grass eaters and love to wander about. Ours are free range and sleep on the clothes line at night.

the Sugar famer's wife and turkey lover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:21 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

Thanks sugar farmers wife,
So i cant keep them in a cardboard box brooder? If not, i might have to knock something up before i get the eggs or get a cheapy rabbit hutch etc.
Thanks for the tips, i think the eggs i am getting are from a strain that interact and live with chicens so hopefully they are hardy.
I have ordered Storey's guide to raising turkeys, i found their chicken version very informative.
Hopefully it will arrive next week
Thanks for all the advice :D
Sigrid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:33 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

A cheapie rabbit hatch would work fine. We have a similar set up here. We put newspaper on the floor and change it at least once a day or more if they are messy. We get Baycox from the vet to prevent cocci

Sugar farmer's wife.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:14 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Sugar Farmer wrote:
2. Put coccidiosos preventative in their water (from your vet, chooks do carry this disease and turkey poults will die of it) at regular intervals.

Is this the upset tummy illness or another name for black head?
QUESTION, If you could make up an emergency/essentials first aid box for Turkeys what would you put in it?
We are incubating Turkey eggs too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:06 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/animal-industries/animal-health-and-diseases

Here is some useful information on cccidiosis. Turkey poults appear to be particular at risk (from my experience anyway).

The only other thing that I would put in a first aid kit for turkeys is a calcium and vitamin e supplement. We give them this at a couple time as they are growing up. We also give it to adult bird is get a limp for any reason. Seems to help them heal faster.

good luck with your turkeys

Post subject: Turkey Medical Box
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:46 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

:oops: I'm sorry if i am monopolising on this post but one more question, whist people's minds are on the subject,
So far on my shopping list this week, i"ve got Baycox (Coccidiosos Preventitive) for my older poults, i have 2 X 3 month olds.
Calcium supplement with vit E supplement )for general health and well being ( although they are getting sunflower seeds and maize in their feed mix.)
:shock: I would like a name for a Blackhead preventitive/treatment. My local vet is O.K but he is a cow and horse man, and is lost when it comes to Poultry. He will order what i ask for, if i have a name. So my question is: What in your opinion, is the best preventitive/treatment for Blackhead, cost effectiveness and treatment effectiveness taken into account?
I thought this might also help the other Turkey Newbie's.
Thanks Chris and Toni.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:05 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

The only blackhead preventiative that I know of is standard poultry all wormers (blackhead is a worm related illness). We worm all our birds reguarly and have never seem blackhead. I can't recall the name of the allwormer we use but if you ask your vet about worming poultry he should be able to russle something up for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:25 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

My missus is a vet, and when we had turkeys we use to worm them with a puppy wormer solution, and we never had a problem with blackhead.

I think the theory behind it was as Sugar Farmer said the disease is worm related, so no worms no blackhead.

"The wheels still turning, but the hamsters dead"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:59 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

With all this turkey talk I thought I would relate a funny story.
My wife the turkey nut sent me into the vet to ask for Blackhead medication.
Blackhead! what do you mean he replied.
So I told him what we all here on this forum have come to know as blackhead caused by mixing turkeys with chooks.
Well, after about 15 minutes of belly laughing rolling on the ground he replied' What rubbish, I've never herd of such a thing, and for one thing if chooks carried it native birds would as well, I've never see a turkey pen free of native birds.

Well I don't know what to believe, all I know turkey poults are sensitive to everything, keep them clean, dry and free from pests like we do and you shouldn't have a problem.

I should also say I’ve been duped, everyone told me (including my begging wife) turkeys were impossible to keep ,that they died easily. We’re over run here, about to hatch our 6th clutch in 9 months from two hens, that’s a total 66 poults, not counting the 18 fertile eggs we sold. Come to my place and I’ll show you a turkey plague of Biblical proportions.

I’ll get off my box now.

Have fun with your turkeys, god knows I have to, there’s just so many of them.

The Sugar Farmer (not his turkey loving wife)

Post subject: blackhead
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:30 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I've had turkeys close to poultry and never had blackhead, but I think it's a real condition. http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/animal-industries/animal-health-and-diseases