Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Help dying guinea keets

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:07 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help dying guinea keets
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:27 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I hatched 5 keets in my incubator on the 19th Dec and one by one they are dying. Another last night - so now there are only 2. They are in a wire brooder 1m * 70cm with half of it a wooden enclosed end. An old sheet in the wooden bit and hay in the open bit. A 150 w lamp and unlimited chick starter and water changed a few times a day. They sleep under the light at night but wander around and sleep in the wire bit in the day. The cage is under the house and not near anything dangerous etc. The only one thing that I have thought of is that they seem to spend lots of time hunting and eating moths - but they still eat a considerable amount of chick starter. The one before last died in my hands - he was ok one minutes and on the floor dying the next. This morning I changed the sheet and saw one of the survivors do a normal looking poo.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Post subject: keets
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:27 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I have only had a couple of batches of keets myself so no expert. But if that happened to me I would consider coccidiosis even if I couldn't see red in the droppings. Some strains of the Eimeria don't produce the bloody droppings. It would be worth trying some Sulphaquin or similar. I'm sure you have it there anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:40 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

God I'm stupid. The water this morning has a redish tinge and I just thought it was my eyes and too early in the morning. They had pooed in it. So it must be cocci- I will treat the other two little survivors now.

Post subject: cocci
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:52 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

No, not stupid. I initially thought I had to see the red droppings, but now I've looked into it I realise that all 9 of the Eimeria present differently. And pink water isn't really a give-away. I hope you get them early enough.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:21 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

keets are cute

Polish Poodles, "Games" Aussie, English, Indian (Dark & Jubilee), Araucana, Minorca, Faverolle, hamburg, Sindian, RIR, Isa Brown, Pekin, Bantams, Guinea fowl Rare breeds I like to eat Asil, Buttercup, Sumatra, Maran and many more.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:15 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

how did you go with them?

Beware that there are some poisonous moths as well, here we have a pink moth, bright pink which makes the animals foam at the mouth if eaten it doesn't bother larger animals except for the foaming for a little while but I guess that it would bother the smaller ones such as chicks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:20 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

another thing keets are very suseptible to is patsy eye, or lack of vit. A I put mine on grass by the time they are 10 days old. Any older they will start dying. I use a rabbit hutch type set-up with a warmed heated enclosure extended out into a run.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:36 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi I am sorry to hear about the keats dying thats really sad. I have not had any problems with mine and I do not really know that much about them. I collected 7 eggs and put them in the incubator and they all hatched and I just treated them as I do my chickens and they are 6 moinths old now and let me knmow when mr fox is around. Yes they can be noisey when they are young to the surroundings but they do settle in and only tend o reallyget going when danger is around. Mine follow me around the farm every where, even when I change the horses rugs and clean out the stable. Are they not the cutest little things I think they look like little penguins when they hatch. I hope the treatment works for the two little ones.

Good Luck Lee