Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - what do you all feed your turkeys

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:01 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:26 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

ok have told son he is not feeding his turkeys enough
they get scraps and red course layer mash
i have noticed the hens r on the skinny side (breast bone protruding)
what else can he feed them
he worms them reguarly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:11 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Do the turkeys free range? Turkeys will eat an enornmous quantity of grass if allowed to free range. If you don't free range I imagine that they would need quite a bit of food. We feed ours mixed grain, course laying mash, scraps, bread sometimes, and they like to come in the house and steal my cats dry biscuits. We feed our baby turkeys, turkey starter.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:16 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

yes they free range over 3 acres

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:55 pm 
they eat heap, I feed mine, grain, scraps, lots of greens, wet and dry pet food, watermelon, basically everything, just not a lot of one thing.

if you can get dry dog food cheaper than grain, feed them taht, just wet it. They are a volume eater, so will eat their fill and go and sleep so having feed spot around for them to have a feed many times a day so good.

TRy some garlic cloves in their drinking water, it may give them the "pickup" they need

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:39 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Many thanks for the information on feeding turkeys, I am about to board one for my brother, and needed some info on them, it will freerange in my backyard with my little chooks, can I close it up at night with them as well, when it goes to its new home it will have 125 acres, a couple of dogs, a cockatu, and a couple of peacocks for company, and possibly a cage to go into.
Thanks for any knowledge you'd like to share.
Helen M.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:24 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi there,
We feed our adult turkeys basicly the same as our laying X-breed chooks, as they live together,( "breeds" have seperate enclosures), we are lucky not to have black head here( Lots of hard work, strict quarentine, and luck....touch wood!!) we feed them a mix of cracked grain or screenings (which ever we can get, wheat or tretacale) mixed with layer pellets, also kitchen scraps, stale pet food, weeds and off veg from a largish garden ( we nurture and love our weeds, they green feed our birds) grass clippings, anything and every thing. But we have a big hanging metal feeder that we fill with the grain mix, we just fill it when ever it is running low, so that the laying chooks and the turkeys can feed as much as they want. They have a largish enclosure to run about in and a couple of pepper trees to play around and in, but we cant free range them as we rent. The end result is well fed birds, and a cocky gobbler.Toni.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:54 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

i feed mine a mixture of chaff,wheat,layers pellets,pigeon mix and sometimes chick starter all in a mash

stuart

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:22 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi,
I don't free range mine, but I make sure they have plenty of mixed grain and we do give them some bread every morning. :mrgreen: