Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Guinea Fowl and Predators

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:09 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:48 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I have heard that guinea fowl will chase and even attack foxes, wild cats and dogs

Is this true, because i was thinking of getting some to put in with my chooks, and if I do end up getting some, what breed(s) should I get?

Also do they need any special housing or can they just go in with the chooks?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:42 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

We had some happily co existing with the chooks at our old place. I've never known them to chase dogs or foxes though but they certainly will sound an alarm call if they see them and snakes too. A poultry lady once told me you need at least 10 for them to do their jobs properly. You also have to be aware of the noise factor if you are in the suburbs.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:43 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

Hi chriti,

As Frawley says, a group of guineas can be very noisy. I had a group of 10 for just over a year. They would charge at dogs walking or being walked along the road outside our place, screaming at the top of their little voices. I never saw a dog brave enough to jump the fence and have a go, but if they had the guineas would have been easy pickings. They are NO defence against foxes, though they would probably raise an alarm. I wouldn't even consider having them on a suburban block (not sure what size you are on). We are on 4 acres and I felt that was barely big enough. They are at times extremely noisy. MUCH noisier than roosters.

They get on very well with chooks and happily live with them. They prefer very high roosts. The fly extremely well when they decide to go and need to be clipped to keep them on one side of a fence. They have much less 'common sense' than chooks!

NellyG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:56 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

thanks, but if the foxes know that they were spotted would they continue to hunt them at that instance, because i live on the south east coast of nsw on 9 acres and i know that there is a fox den with cubs inside about 150 - 200 m from the chook pen and many people around here have lost chickens, sheep etc to them (during the day as well), so i want to keep them away as much as possible

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:15 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

If the fox is hungry, then I think so. If you are on 9 acres then that would be fine for Guineas. I loved mine! But my husband didn't - he couldn't stand the noise - so in the interests of marital harmony I rehomed them :( People I know who had them around here and didn't lock them up at night said that the numbers slowly dwindled as the foxes picked them off. I used to pen mine at night. Once you get them into the routine of that they go in reasonably happily (most nights, anyway!). You can use wheat to bribe them as they LOVE it!

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

NellyG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:19 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Yes while ours got on well with the hens they did decide to roost where they pleased and even though were brought up from day old keets they were not friendly and could not be caught.

I think that the fact that they can fly well would limit a fox with killing them however once the fox discovers your hens when it has cubs that will be the end of your flock.

Perhaps you could consider a marrema (sp) or other type of guardian animal?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:21 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I have a flock of guineas on ten acres (just over the hill from you at Mothar Mtn, Frawley :wink: ), trained to come home every evening and rest on perches in the run. The run appears to be safe enough (although I am thinking of raising the fence higher and fortifying it with dogwire just to be sure).

However, after months of stable numbers (11 adults and ten keets) I have lost three or four adult guineas in the last week. :cry: Because guineas range to the limit of line of sight of the house, the foxes can ambush them and pick them off from the surrounding bush. They only seem to get one at a time, but they are very bold about it, in broad daylight, especially in this wet weather, and the guineas don't seem to be very alert. :? (Perhaps it is different in nature - natural guinea fowl flocks contain thousands of birds.)

I think I actually saw a fox attack today. I heard the guineas making a racket down the bottom of the paddock behind a stand of trees. I am pretty sure I saw a flash of red fur and then the guineas were flying (guineas only fly if they are REALLY scared). By the time I got down there, the fox was long gone and I found a few feathers lying about. :( (Haven't had a chance to do a headcount yet, but I think there was only one bird taken this time. :roll: )

Given that guineas need to free range, i.e., you can't keep them penned up unless it is a very big pen, I don't think guineas would be the answer, chriti, they'd just complicate the problem. I think your best bet would be to fortify your chicken run against fox attack, and if you do let your chickens out during the day, try to keep them very close to the house where you can keep an eye on them.

I'd also recommend looking for a decent fox trap. It is something else I have to look into myself, ASAP.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:45 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Guinea fowl can become so complacent while free ranging on my property. I have always brought up my kelpies and cattle dogs to stay clear of wildlife at all times. The death of one of my guinea fowl two weeks ago has come as no surprise due to their familiar brown keepers, the kelpies. My guinea fowl have become at ease around my kelpies while down the back property. At 7am a fox walked up to one of my guinea fowl as the kelpies have always done {brown in colour} and ran off with its speckled prize. Guinea fowl will always lose the battle against a hungry cunning fox if they become complacent.

Trevor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:53 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi chriti is the vixon with kittens on your property? if so or you know the person who owns the land I think you should do something about getting rid of them, they are vermon & it's only a matter of time till your chooks just start to disappear. Your local council may be able to help with a trap & even dispose of the catch for you.

As for guineas if they see the fox they may let you know but they are no deterent for a fox especially a hungry mother. If mine see a wedge tail eagle it's just the opposite it's total silence, they also no match for an eagle. I have 37 guineas that roam our property & the noise can be unbelievable when they get started but mostly it's just chatter.

Forget the guineas as a fox deterent, get yourself a trap or a mareema/kuvas/anatolian shepherd & I can't remember what the other fox killer is, it's the only way to deal with them. If you hunt around you may find someone who is interested in coming in & trapping or shooting them for you. Good luck & don't take your eyes off your chooks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:57 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi guys,
I have had guinea fowl for about 15 years, we have been lucky with our poultry and guineas, the foxes don't seem to worry them I think it's my mini foxy dogs around the house and the maremma dogs in the paddocks. but the eagles seem to cull some every year. I've seen them grabbed right out of the trees they roost in.