Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Guinea Fowl and chooks together

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:07 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:29 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I have GF eggs in the incubator so will hopefuly have some soon.

Somebody has just told me that GF will kill chooks which has made me concerned. Do they not get along and is this true or just a story.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:19 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Chukar wrote:
I have GF eggs in the incubator so will hopefuly have some soon.

Somebody has just told me that GF will kill chooks which has made me concerned. Do they not get along and is this true or just a story.

this is a fairy tale guinea fowl live with other fowl quite well

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:56 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Yes, I agree with colin. They will live quite happily together in the same coop, especially if brought up with chooks from young.

NellyG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:21 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

they can live together ok, particularly if raised together....however in breeding season the males become aggressive and may attack your roos,and try to mate the chooks, next doors do with mine, and they have almost killed one(roo that is)....usually the poor roo just takes cover as the guineas are way bigger than my little bantams :? cheers pam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:43 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

The Guinea Fowl should be fine with the chooks.
Mine grew up with the chickens and I'm sure they thought they were chickens too (I only had a couple).
Nick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:45 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I think if you large fowl it should be fine. I had mine with large chooks and there were no problems at all, but as Pam says Bantams are much smaller than guineas.

NellyG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:04 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Mine live in with the chooks. I have them in both the orpington and bantam pens. However, I do only keep GFs raised with the bantam chicks in with the bantams as the original male (not raised with the chooks) did get aggressive during breeding season. The biggest problem I have is getting the GFs to pair up and get fertile eggs. Perhaps they are distracted by the chook hens?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:00 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

mine have contact with both my large chooks and bantams. They completely disregard the bantams but do clash with my large rooster occaisionally. Noone has ever come to harm- they just go their separate ways after a few minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:23 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

A neighbour recently found one of his on a nest in his garden, and offered me some more eggs. I just got back from getting them.
Guinea Fowl are very protective of their eggs :upset:
We were one each side of the nest and she could not attack us both at once. When she went for one of us the other grabbed an egg or two. We managed to get 10 out from under her without loosing much skin and have left her with about 8.

I now have 22 GF eggs in the incubator.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:34 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

This is a topic I am very interested in especially others experiences with the mixing of the two.
Do the guinea still roam when raised with chooks?
Do they go into the coup at night as with chooks or are they hard to control at bed time?
If you only kept females what would be the outcome will the rooster mate with the guinea hens?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:13 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

im just stating an experiance but the last guinea fowl i had go broody a few years back would let me walk in pick her up check she didnt have anymore eggs and then put her back ?? and they wearnt hand raised as i bought them near full grown
and i have guineas in with chooks and some by themselves :)
and yes i have seen a picture of a gf x chicken lol
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:18 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

macca91 wrote:
im just stating an experiance but the last guinea fowl i had go broody a few years back would let me walk in pick her up check she didnt have anymore eggs and then put her back ?? and they wearnt hand raised as i bought them near full grown
and i have guineas in with chooks and some by themselves :)
and yes i have seen a picture of a gf x chicken lol
Sam

I wish the one we stole eggs from yesterday was like that, she was flying at us not just pecking our hands. She eventually ran off squarking so we got the last few eggs easerly. The male was also running around behind us making a lot of noise.

I candled the eggs last night and some are all dark so I suspect they are not far off hatching. Some of the cleaner ones only have a dark embryo spot and veins so another must be laying in her nest.

The GF hen also went back to the nest and continued sitting a few minuts after I left.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:46 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Chukar wrote:
I candled the eggs last night and some are all dark so I suspect they are not far off hatching. Some of the cleaner ones only have a dark embryo spot and veins so another must be laying in her nest.

The GF hen also went back to the nest and continued sitting a few minuts after I left.

Guineas lay in one communal nest and two or more hens may sit on the eggs. Unlike chickens, they also creche their young and tend not to kill other hen's chicks. However, it is still advisable to keep the young ones away from the main flock, especially unrelated males, until they are old enough to run for cover (about eight to ten weeks).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:53 am 

i am heard that guinea males can kill chooks if thay are numericall superior.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:24 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

The Guinea Fowl eggs I took from the sitting GF and put in the incubator have hatched.

They are vicious little buggers. I put them in the brooder with Partridges which hatched 2 days before them, and was concerned the Partridges may pick on the younger slower GF. The GF though see the Partridge toes as worms and grab them and run, as they must think something is pulling the other end. Partridges do not like being pulled around by their toes so I have to separate them. My parents have a couple of clucky chooks so I am going to get one tonight and give her the GF chicks. Hopefully it works as my parents chooks are a bit wild.