Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Quail enthusiasts

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:38 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Quail enthusiasts
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:48 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

Try putting a lukewarm bottle of water in the incubator and see if that helps. An empty incubator has nothing to help stabilise the temp.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:21 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

jocler wrote:
Does this help?

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/145346/Raising-Japanese-quail.pdf

There was a guy named wolfie that sold a lot of quail and had a very good website, but I cant find it now.

J

I am concerned about one piece of advice in here

"The cage should have a solid metal or plywood roof to minimise head injuries if the birds take fright."

I have been told exactly the OPPOSITE in relation to roofing..ie make sure it is relatively soft and flexible (eg chicken wire) so they CAN'T brain themselves...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:09 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

ChookWhisperer wrote:
jocler wrote:
Does this help?

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/145346/Raising-Japanese-quail.pdf

There was a guy named wolfie that sold a lot of quail and had a very good website, but I cant find it now.

J

I am concerned about one piece of advice in here

"The cage should have a solid metal or plywood roof to minimise head injuries if the birds take fright."

I have been told exactly the OPPOSITE in relation to roofing..ie make sure it is relatively soft and flexible (eg chicken wire) so they CAN'T brain themselves...

If the roof is solid (eg. plywood or sheet metal), when they hit it, the force is spread out across the head (the usual point of impact). If, however you have a rigid wire mesh roof, the force is focused on the narrow wires: effectively making them like little razor blades: with the end result of lacerations across the scalp (and in worst case scenarios: complete loss of skin across the scalp) - and the higher the roof, the more severe the problem (due to the momentum that is built up when they fly up)

A soft 'false roof' (eg. loosely strung shadecloth) can be used to minimise impact, but I would avoid just a rigid wire mesh roof.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:21 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Thank you Htul - that all makes sense.

Being quite enchanted with my little brood I am thinking I may seriously take this up as a hobby ...any tips on good books to read and good site to go to?

I am especially interested in how to house and feed grown quail. I would like as natural a habitat as possible though I have read that this can make finding their eggs tricky (hiding them) and their mating is disturbed (usually monogamous but not so in a large group - pairs need to be separated?)

In my head am already planning a lovely non-wire bottom cage with shrubs growing in it for them to hide under...maybe a fantasy??

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:41 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Specific books on quail are not that common. However, two that I have come across are:

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780947870126/Quail-Past-and-Present
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780906137383/Keeping-Quail

I have the first, and an earlier edition of the second. Both are quite good, though I seem to recall finding the first particularly useful.

Japanese quail can be kept in aviaries - their natural habitat would mainly be grasslands and the like.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:21 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Thanks Htul.

I do have weird quail - they do not seem to mind being out in the relative "open" of their cage and don't startle that easily - maybe being hand raised helped?

Anyways I am very excited about seeing how many boys and girls I have and whether this might be a viable cottage industry! (0r fun hobby - I do think they are very cute)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:58 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thread revival! (thinking of getting quail)

" A cage 13 × 20 cm is large enough for two birds" :(

Thats ~1/2 an A4 sheet of paper!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:35 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

That is tiny, even for such small birds. Seems very inhumane to me even if they still grow/reproduce in such a cramped cage.

One of the reasons why people choose to raise their own food animals rather than simply buy from shops is that you know how the animal lived.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:19 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Jap Quail wont hide their eggs, they just 'drop em' where they are.
Keep the lawn clippings and dry them out and use them for in their cages. they love climbing/burrowing in a huge pile of dried grass. Just make sure it is chemical/spray free.

They only jump when they are scared. They will recognise you, but strangers they get edgy with. I talk to them all the time. Only have had two girls in almost 3years ever freak out and jump. No damage as the roof height was quite high.
I have several cages, one at waist height, one 20cm off ground. Lower to the ground is more natural to them as they like to see whats going on.
Warning: they will eat constantly in daylight hours and 50% of what goes in will come out. :!:
But they are cute
Good luck and have fun.
:chicks:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:38 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

happyvalley wrote:
Jap Quail wont hide their eggs, they just 'drop em' where they are.

My Japanese quail won't listen to this sort of thing at all, and most of them like to lay in one nest area. They've made a quail-shaped, quail-sized hollow in some sugar cane mulch between some mondo grass & some bamboo in the rear corner of the aviary, and I collect nearly all of the eggs from that same spot daily. Only sometimes is there just one egg laid elsewhere... so one of my girls in there has been reading the human books about dropping her egg wherever she happens to be at the time !

There sure is a lot of output, as happyvalley says ! Like you wouldn't believe !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:24 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I've just sat and read through this thread. Got some very good information thanks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:37 am 
Great Game
Great Game

Come Monday, I'm picking up 80 week-old quail. Mixed colours as usual, but farmer said there are a few good tuxedo colours among them, so fingers crossed. Not that I know much about the colours, just picked up some info on the forum, and some from talking to breeders.

Few people seem to be "into it" enough to breed seriously for colour types: most of the seriousness seems on size of eggs and/or bird for eating. I'm more interested in promoting them as a happy healthy little bird, pleasure to own. And the keeping of them in good size pens the same as a cared-about flock of hens - not small cages or battery style housing.

Selling eggs is interesting - so many people stop to look and question, and have no idea that they could be edible. Quite a few questions on their use for craft work: so I'll have to look into this to keep up with potential customers interest. But I did sell out at the last market, all ten dozen, okay hardly commercial quantity.

TookTook, are you still thinking on quail as you mentioned above as a "cottage industry"? I think it maybe has more potential than chooks as very small scale "paying hobby" that contributes to its own costs. And that's only with regard to selling eggs or breeding birds, as we don't sell for eating.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:48 pm 

I'm in Canberra and would love to keep some quail. I hate the idea of them being in a cage all day and thought I might build some long tunnels out from the cages to run behind my shrubs and partially bury these in soil so the bottom is soil, for them to run around in. Quite low but big enough to run in and turn around in. Not high enough to get hurt in if they jump, but mesh so they can see the shrubs and sky and around them. We had them wild back home and I loved hearing their little sounds in the shrubs as they foraged. Can't see that happening here with all the feral cats though.

So basically I want to build a track for them all around my garden and back to their cage. Is this a viable idea or am I just dreaming here?

Also I am looking for quail. Anyone in Canberra up for selling some to a novice? I obviously need something hardy and easy to take care of. I have 3 retired battery hens just to sort out the bugs in my garden, but otherwise I've always been crazy about quail.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:00 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Svan... tunnels like you describe would work well. I'd make them VERY strong though.

There are some photos about the place showing what you're describing, with quail in situ.

It would be wise to ensure that you can access all areas of each tunnel, for various reasons.