Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Introducing quail to a new mate.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:14 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:06 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I have four 5 week old japanese quail hens that I want to introduce to some roos. They will go in to make 2 trio cages (2 hens to 1 boy). Are they old enough to go in with the males now or should I give them another week they are a good size not laying yet though. I would leave them another week but I need the cage space they are in.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:44 am 
Flock Master
Flock Master

From what I understand six weeks is about the age they start laying and I probably wouldn't be putting them in with males before then. There are other people who will come along and offer you a better informed comment I'm sure :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:48 am 
Swan
Swan

The boys tend to mature a bit quicker than the girls but alas the girls are usually bigger.
2 girls should be ok to go in with a single boy now if they are the same size (not older) or larger than the male. With 2 girls the males attention should be divided a little and not one poor hen pecked girl getting all his lovin and pluckin...

There's only a very fine eggshell between genius and insanity!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:37 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

The males are pretty rough, alot of my hens have bald heads from males. Is this normal behaviour of most quail roos?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:13 pm 
Swan
Swan

Yes absolutely totally normal... there's no glory in it for the females, they are hounded constantly by a bunch of nymphomaniac males, plucked, lay their little butts off literally and put up with the boys crowing about it at rediculous hours in the morning.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:04 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I'm trying to keep the ratio of 1 male to three girls in the hope they don't hurt the girls too badly. They are funny creatures always crowing and strutting. Have you kept them on wire before I have just built a wire floored pens to transfer some birds in but I read they can get very vicious and cause picking and even canibalism!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:02 am 
Swan
Swan

Cannabalism can happen at any time particularly if there is a bit of a vitamin deficiency or one becomes injured. Thankfully I've never had this. Feather picking will occur if they are over crowded or lacking protein etc.

I'm keeping mine on wire at present. I can't say I'm happy with it, It does keep them clean. I've found in general the fertility is a lot less and although I have them split into breeding groups I've found my colours declining. When I had them all in together they bred well, layed better and the colours kept turning out. I may need to use smaller wire for the floor and perhaps lighting would help but that's out of the question and I prefer to see them running around. So I'm in the process of making a couple of big A-Frames - one for the quails, one for the guinea pigs - and I will put all the quails back in together again.

I used to keep a ratio of 3-4 females to each cock bird but at the moment the breeding pens are too small so it's 2/1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:38 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I am currently building a run 3m x 1.2m x .6 high for quail. We are thinking of getting 4 females for eggs, with a possibility of adding a male in the future to breed them. Is this big enough for 4 girls to start off with, do you think? It has a weldmesh floor which will sit on the grass, and will be moveable like a tractor. Half the floor space is actually solid and includes a dark 'nesting room'. I am planning on putting sugarcane mulched in, as well as a litter tray of sand for dust bathing.

The walls and roof will be 1/2 inch (12.7mm) bird mesh, with half the roof area and most of the back made of marine ply, and waterproof.

Does this setup sound ok for our future quail girls? Any suggestions or criticisms greatly appreciated.

ros :)