Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Guinea Fowl

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:49 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guinea Fowl
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:08 am 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

I have kids 2 of them and they are boys.
I am going to keep them both.
I know they are human and not chooks. we keep poultry in the yard and kids in the house but the boys are often in the yard and the chooks are(not so often) in the house. the line gets a bit blurry about who goes where at times.

getting back to the thread i'm on. one of the reasons i like guinea fowl so much is that you can have as many boys as girls. don't get me wrong 1 boy will look after the needs of multiple ladies if there are not enough fellas to go 1 on 1 or you don't see the point of feeding more lads. but we have quite a few guineas and they pair up sometimes for the season and sometimes the same ones until the road/death they do part.

guineas squabble and chase each other about the yard reminding me of my kids. with guineas there have been no cock fights like the roosters do if i forget to close a gate and george and snoop-dog end up in the same area for too long.

i sell guinea fowl from time to time - as a krew which is their flock. i watch them for a bit over a couple of days to tell who is paired with whom and make sure either both go or stay but together. if asked to sell just 1 then i ensure the deal is for 2 as i don't send off anyone alone(not even someone i hate). i don't sell or make a deal very often; maybe you are thinking "i can't think why you nutter". :D
possibly u think i am looney; that is alright what you think of me is really none of my business - also why i don't do facebook.

the guineas; i know their brains are not as complex as humans. they can do paired up ongoing; perhaps with the odd cross pollination. so really not that different to humans.

my 2 kids are boys and i am keeping both of them!

edited as i spelt facbook wrong - facebook:)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:53 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

But, :wink: Grabby if you have more kids/grand kids would you consider selling a pair :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:35 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

sure i could sell some if i have more and the person fits my rehome requirements of free range and good food.
AND of course they would have to take a minimum of 2.

if interested i am running a list. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:40 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I'd have to check out the parent stock and make sure they were to standard; although I don't show, so maybe some hybrid vigour would be of desirable.

Would they be large or bantam? :rofl:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:37 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

hey eire, the offspring would all be large but i thank my lucky stars every shopping day that i was not blessed with mammoth or jurassic sized ones.

yesterday the sun was out for a few minutes so i took a couple of photos of doc our pied cinnamon keet from 11/12 season last hatch. she is a bit scruffy as she wanted to stay in the group and resisted having seperate photos taken of her.

this one is blurry but was the only full shot of her front on.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:38 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

bugger i can't remember the attach bit for getting them onto here.

Grabby - Click on the thumbnail in the gallery to bring up the full sized picture. Then go to the codes underneath the pic and select either the thumbnail or picture code. L click to hilite the R click and copy, and then paste into the thread where you want the picture. Hope that helps.

NellyG (Mod)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:18 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

hi NellyG thankyou.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:02 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

You're welcome. And she is beautiful!

NellyG

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:10 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Nelly and Grabby - beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder, or possibly some one swaped the photos after you commented.

Just as well those guineas have personality as they are not going to win any beauty contests.

I still like them and the shape and colours and slickness of the feathers do look great when they are older and in prime condition, but that head could be used in horror movies - said the pot :rofl:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:16 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Eire wrote:
Nelly and Grabby - beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder, or possibly some one swaped the photos after you commented.

:lol: :lol: I love the look of Guineas. I think they are just great!

NellyG :biggrin:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:39 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I can understand why the male guinea fowl try to have sex with the chooks :roll:

I think you have to see them move to fully appreciate them. As Grabby would say watch them scoot or watch them having a conflab then going about their bussiness. I have watched them on a few occasions and they can be pretty and enthralling and if you can get close enough the feathers and general shape is attractive, but the head looks like Freddy Kruger with a hangover :yipee:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:52 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Guineas rock dont they. Funny little personalities & life is very boring without them.
Keep up with your stories Grabby, they are good for a laugh :wink:
& a very nice little guinea you have in the piccy.
I had a fox grab one of my cins thru the cage roof a month ago, poor guinea screamed its head off & lost a huge chunk out of his bum. :| Bit of tlc & he is doing fine now & back to his sill antics of chasing the garden hose snake away. :aaargh:
==================================
Admin edit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:13 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

hi mr bellmere
i am glad your cinnie guinea made it through it's experience with the fox; far luckier than most.

i am getting ready for this years breeding season by working the kinks out of our incubators to be all set for guinea eggs come summer.
we hatched 15 out of 18 assorted eggs despite the power going off twice during the incubation period - thank goodness for a wood heater.
does anybody know what the percentage for hatching 15/18 is please? maybe 80% maths is not my strong point. it is the best hatch we have had incubator wise. we also got 6 silkies to go the other way as well.

:chicks: :chicks: :chicks: :chicks: :chicks: :chicks: :chicks: :chicks: :chicks: :chicks: :chicks:

bring on summer and guinea eggs!!!

Eire you should see guinea fowl babies they are gorgeous fluff balls.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:29 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hey Grabby, congratulations on the 83.3% incubation rate. Were they eggs from your own chooks and what was the fertility rate of the eggs?
ATM I can't breed as I live in town so am very interested in anything to do with roosters, fertile eggs and incubation. Mainly because I can't have a rooster.
I am so looking forward to owning land in about two and a half years, that I am already planning the chooks, geese, ducks, quail and guinea fowl I will have.
When I get guinea fowl I will see if Andy will run the ugliest fowl competition, as I bet you have a potential winner with young freddy kruger in the previous photo.
My mum said I was a beautiful baby and then look what happened :hmmm: . So guineas are the opposite of the ugly duckling - they start cute and go down hill :claps:
Hope your new incubation process keeps getting better. and looking forward to your future post with the title "100% incubation rate"

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:47 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Eire wrote:
My mum said I was a beautiful baby and then look what happened :hmmm: . So guineas are the opposite of the ugly duckling - they start cute and go down hill :claps:

No, NO, NO!! they start cute and get CUTER! :thumbs: :biggrin:

NellyG

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next