Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Guinea Fowl

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:08 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guinea Fowl
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:52 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Quick competition

Which is cutest?

Little baby freddy is so cute and look he gets astetically challenged as he gets older.

Remind you of anything

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:33 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Nah definitely the first :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:08 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

yep the first picture is way cutest, even thought not the best angle.

i watch them as they scoot about the yard chatting with each other and getting lost, then calling comeback comeback or the deafening argh argh argh argh argh; kinda like a machine gun stattaco. i again prefer the first. :) then they turn around and spot another group and join them for a bit, happy as. they like to hang out with a few mates, do a bit of yard work, go for a walk and have a feed - pretty much like me. they aren't mean or cruel and they definately don't put nasty stuff on the internet about each other. there is so much to like about guineas and even though they most likely will never win ms/mr universe they could easy take out ms/mr congeniality. i see all this as i watch them cruise their domain. you will too Eire when you finally get your own space. you will love it and your guineas when you get them.

our chook eggs are from our yard and i had ended up with discarding 7 as not fertile at day 18. 83% is brilliant thankyou for telling me. our roosters have about 10 ladies each, 6 for the silkie fella. with all the mud about the place i am very pleased to know they must still be able to get traction.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:54 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

i think this is cute!

let it work, let it work,let it work. yay!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:18 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi Grabby

Hey the big black one is probably the best looking guinea fowl I have seen and looks even better surrounded by those ugly juvanile quail. I wouldn'd breed from those quail if I were you as their shape is a bit off and they look to be going bald.

:P

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:43 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hey GRabby am loving reading your stories.......I have been off track of late but now have guineas all penned up in ready for the upcoming season - lets keep our fingers crossed.

Just to add my 2 cents worth

Mr Plucked often - well ok all the time - call the guines "dinasours with brains the sie of a pea"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:29 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi Grabby. I checked out the guinea fowl at the Euroa auction today - have to admit they were quite cute and not as loud as I had been led to belive.
They were also smaller than I expecte - was this because of the breed or were they all juvaniles?

Unfortunatly they were caged so could not watch them scoot.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:19 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

They were probably quiet because they were in a strange environment. To get the full effect of their noise you need to hear all the females in a decent sized flock calling. It is truley loud, continuous and grating. :lol: :lol:

NellyG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:30 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

there were quite a few guineas at euroa today, usually not so many. they were fairly calm too which helped with the noise level; we would have known about it if they had have gone off. i think they were fairly close to full size - maybe just need to fill out a bit - wouldn't know for sure without getting grabby on them. not a big bird though, their personality makes them seem bigger; or if one flys at your face.

i knew you were teasing and really thought they are cute @ least cuteish.
hope you had a good day and maybe bought something; there were some lovely australorps & nice ducks too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:12 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

today on the way home from euroa i started thinking about our guinea fowl called sylvia.

sylvia hates me and she does have reasoning behind it; in that last breeding season i plotted to get her eggs by PENNING HER. not in a dogbox tiny cruel penning type fashion with an unknown stranger to mate up with but in with our other precious ones taking her own partner fos(friend of sylvia) as she is silver pied and he was lavender pied perfect. so my master plan was: lets pen for a month everyone in a roomy hen house and covered yard before the heat of summer. lay a heap of eggs that could be easily located and rest on your laurels or anywhere else for the rest of the season.

alrighty then talked it through with bloke and convinced myself that i could do it given that i really don't pen. caught sylvia & fos then popped them in with the cinnie krew and some treats for all. they seemed ok apart from being a bit standoffish, excellent this is going to be awesome. i got a bit excited when i saw all still going well at lockdown.

up nice and early in the morning to check in before work and a bit weird fos was outside the pen, without sylvia. inside quiet, too quiet and on the floor a big pool of blood. no................ poor sylvia - i looked around the chook house for her body, too much blood for anything else. not in the confinement area for keets or the nest boxes and i already knew she wasn't in the yard. perplexed i looked at the remaining guineas and damn if sylvia covered in her own blood wasn't sitting in the middle of the perch with gritted beak glaring at me.

late for work as dad had to drive us to the vet since vline don't allow chooks on the bus. perhaps if it was a guide chook but it's hell finding a harness to fit a guinea chook let alone somewhere for the training. the vet andrew has met me and various chooks before so knew in advance it would be an interesting appointment. not one to disappoint sylvia had lost a toenail and quite a lot of feathers on the front and various "grazes" to the rest of her. antibiotic powder for the toe and horse tablets to force down her little neck daily - just in case she didn't hate me enough already.

she healed eventually and needless to say she roamed free and i cannot say for certain that i go 1 egg from that grumpy guinea girl.

today i thought about penning her again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:46 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Love this thread, very entertaining :claps: I think I might even be learning something, now there's a worry :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:31 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I should not have bought anything at the auction as I live in town and already have 5 chooks, 6 chicks in the brooder, 15 quail and another 20 quail eggs that will hatch in 8 days. But brought the dog carry case/cage just in case I came across a dog that needed rescuing :thumbs: .

I so want ducks and geese and maybe even an ugly guinea fowl to make the other cuter in comparrison, but the yard is too small. But ended up buying 6 jurrasic sized orpington eggs (I don't know why) that I put in the incubator last night (although I think 3 of them were pullet eggs as they were very small).

I wanted a barnevelder, but ended up buying a dorking (don't know why), but they are cool. Then wanted the 3 columbian bantam wyandotes but got out bid so bought 2 white bantam wyandotes (don't know why). Also bought another barrel for feed and some chick feeders for the brooder.

So I have now got 3 extra chooks that I don't need and potentially another 6 in 3 weeks. Have the dorking and two bantams in quarantine in a quail tractor that was neary finished with the dogtainer attached.

Spent the last two evenings restoring a large sectioned aviary so I can move the quail in there, I can then move the 3 new chooks into the chicken tractor the quail are currently in for a week, then in with the rest of the chooks. I can then move the 6 chicks in the brooder into the chicken tractor. hopefully the quail tractor will be ready by the time the 6 jurrasic eggs hatch as I will desperatly need the brooder by then. I also need to construct at least one temp brooder

My life was uncomplicated prior to that darned auction and I was thinking about going fishing next weekend and maybe starting painting the house, insted I will be sanding/building/painting cages/tractors etc.

But the guineas were good and the machine gun noise was not that bad. I did loiter around the guineas for a while hoping to see Grabby the guinea fowl lady, but no one there seemed too weird (think guinea fowl look cute) :roll: so I could not identify you to make an introduction.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:18 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

hey casscat
any idea what you might have learned? - share :)

aahhh eire my diagnosis is a case of auction fever; it really can upset the balance at home. at least you are keeping off the streets; :rofl: too much to do at home! but you can still fish on the weekend - its fish and chips when you are knackered from all your work.

when those new eggs hatch you will not be disappointed with the jurassic orpington they are a sturdy chook. we have an awesome rooster called George a jurassic fella that i bought at my first euroa auction over 4 years ago. the first winter we had him he got a nasty respitory infection and i went to the vet with my first chook(you get used to it). George weighed in at 4.5 kilos. i asked the vet what his chances were with the treatment? his reply was no chance so i said he would be needing a bit of pain relief with that no chance. 3 days later i took him back for a second needle and then the third. george is today still looking after his ladies and has outlasted many a smaller rooster. he is sturdy.

i went with swedish ducks in mind and fingers crossed but there wer none this time. i did however bid on some nice french marans girls but came home with no chooks this time. i would have found you if you were looking lost or helpless cause i would have asked if you were alright. i am not sure that looking for a weird person @ a chook sale works, goodluck with that technique.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:40 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

5 years ago we started our guinea fowl friends with 5 keets under our beloved salty mamma who came with the babies, then we bought 3 more and one day around then i spoke to broken bird. i asked how many guineas he had as our 8 were quite loud. about 200 at that point was his reply and he said that his 200 probably were not much louder than my 8 as when they turn around they aren't lost anymore so squark less.

now we have quite a few guinea fowl.
this is what i say when asked how many guineas we have. my oh said last night that he had counted seventy in the yard and he was sure he missed some. ooops! i kinda might have misrepresented the number at home too . . . . . . . . . i asked if they were moving around a lot and he said no more than normal, why? my reply of maybe you counted some twice was met and returned with maybe i missed a heap for the same reason.
game set and match mr grabby.

bugger that.

still they are a bit louder than the starter 8 - not heaps more though; usually.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:56 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Grabby - you have the gift of the gab and I'm sure when you were younger you didn't just kiss the blarney stone but had a full on torid affair with the stone.

You really do have some great stories and a wonderfull way of telling them. It is refreshing to learn that your other half is not too gulible to your story telling charms and knows when you are buls##*ing him.

Now - I seen maybe 20 guinea fowl at the auction and they all loked exactly the same(not pretty) are you telling me that you can pick the individuals out of the 70 plus that are scooting all over your property or do you just have a few that are distinguishable by their colouring and character.

And just for the record and to ease your concience - how many do you really have?
:mrgreen: Tell the truth and shame the devil :thumbs:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next