Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Guinea Fowl

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:30 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guinea Fowl
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:25 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

oh i would love to confess and lighten my load guinea wise but cannot.
yes i would confess
but no i just can't do it.
it is dark outside.
and would it just be adults as i cannot be sure immature ones will make it full grown or would each of them be like 1/2 so take 2 to make 1 adult on the count? so many variables to consider. :wink:

the blarney stone i remember it well, cold and kinda spit flavoured but ohh the memories.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:44 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

We need a like button like stalkbook for some of these comments lol.
I need to confess as well sometime soon or so I have been told. But dont have enough fingers to count them all on. You need to get some Eire you will love them & learn they all have funny little personalities & how to tell them apart. Oh & you will see how pretty they are when they scoot across the lawn with little bloomers up.
How many do I have, well like Grabby lets just say its far to dark outside to tell :thumbs: :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:09 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

grabby, I've learned they are loud, sound like machine guns, are fast, and are apparently difficult to count :thumbs: The jury is still out on 'cute' ... my little quails are cute :bolt:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:20 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

....................................................109...................................................

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:44 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

You've nearly convinced me grabby, I have even broached the subject with the OH, who now wants to see pictures :) .
Plus I can buy some keets from the local produce store, which seems to have hundreds, judging by the numbers I see on the side of the road as I approach the place. Plus I have a spare pen up the back, so we will see in a couple of months.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:57 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I feel like the kid that says the emperor is not wearing any clothes but no one belives me.

Guineas are the opposite of cute and Grabby you and Mr Bellmere should be ashamed of yourselfs encourageing people to go out and start keeping guineas.

They remind me of gremlins. They start off cute, but then they get ugly and breed and next thing you are swarmed with 109 great ugly noisy gremlins that are running around every where making a hell of a noise and if you try to keep them in a pen they injure themselves and you have to take them to the vet so they can survive to stare at you with hate filled eyes like the cat from the movie Pet Cemetary - but 109 of those evil cats.

Perhaps I am being a touch over dramatic. Mr B - you and Grabby have convinced me an I will one day have a small (8-10) flock of gremlins 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:10 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Of course you will Eire.
When you have them causing a fuss at you place you will love them. Honestly you will. You cant explain the magic of the little gremlins in words alone, you need to sample them.
Ugly, well I have a hairless cat so that makes me a candidate for all things freaky lol .

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:14 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

so did anyone else do a count since it has been daylight again?
you can write it small like i did; i think it helps.

Squeaker good for you, don't forget they eat bugs too.
LOTS of bugs - when the grasshoppers came last time they were all over the place.
not our place of course as we had around 109 hate filled sets of eyes looking to annihilate those grasshoppers from their territory.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:01 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

our guineas are divided into five basic krews and they pretty much stick to them. there is a bit of crossover antics and cross pollination at edge of territory but
Quote:
Nothing aggressive, just a bit "you're ugly and your mother dresses you funny" stuff. (tah redjohanna)

i know basicly how many each group are visually, the biggest krew are at the back and live in the big tree, cinnies and buddies hang around their house area, the babies from last season growing up now and the front yard guys are the ones that are lost to the road out front mostly and the little group have a marans mum and dad and still hang with them even though they are full sized.

some guineas have physical differences like amounts of piedness or have had more physical contact due to care such as sylvia and we are used to each other. but to quote a friend of mine until you get used to them they "have heads on them like rats" which she explained to me means they all look the same until you know them. good one as i was picturing it to mean she felt like killing them with a shovel but that would hark back to Eire's gremlins likeness.

unlike sylvia and stuffin a few of the babies seem to quite like me assisting them back into their house each evening and sit waiting for me to lift them over to their home. they don't flinch as i pick them up so i take that to mean they are good with it. so i can tell who a lot are by where they are and antics are a lot to do with identifying as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:17 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

this afternoon i collected the eggs and yay there are eggs again!
there was a little surprise in the pen the growing guineas are in.

L2R: Swedish Duck 3rd egg of the season, i think it is a guinea starter egg - way early & last a lovely pinkish chook egg not sure whose.

bring on summer little guinea starter egg!
i really need to frisk my kid/s to find where my memory card out of the camera got to.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:06 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

i haven't been on byp much for a few days as we have been repelling foxes. repelling sounds so much more civilised than hunting.

last thursday i was awoken at 1:30am by a weird guinea fowl noise. not screeching or anything, a sad crooning but loud type sound. i listened for a few minutes then went out to investigate in my sleepwear. yep it was cold out.

one guinea was sitting on the cold muddy outside pen floor area and her partner was sitting on the fence above her while she sadly called out. quite possibly she was sad cause it was damn cold out as i know and i wasn't even sitting on a muddy floor. i weighed up the option of grabbing her fella at full arms reach in the very dark night and loosing him to flying straight up in the air and disappearing versus my chance of getting him in. nah i decided to put her in the house at least 1 would live through the night. but opening the door caused him to fly straight up into the incredible darkness of the night, luckily i was armed with a really good torch. i followed his flight up, up, up all the while moving across to the fence and clumsily over it. on his downward arc i noticed i was not alone in the dark; a fox was going yep i've got it, ive got it, come on down. So turned the torch from guinea to fox and he can take his chance with the dark; sorry fella.
i got to within 5 or 6 metres running straight at it before the fox ran cause i was gonna kick its head in. boots and a good torch what else could i need at 1:30 in the morning?
pants.
pants would have been good.
temporarily the fox lost good vision of said guinea and fella made it away minus a good mouthful of butt feathers. after scaring the fox off with my fowl language i returned to pick up both goineas and put them in the shed, she was much warmer i am sure with her snuggle buddy & no mud plus bonus round no more sad noise to wake me up again.

for the last few nights bloke and i have been sneaking around in the dark with torches and a gun; i thought on the first night after the second shot was fired that he had bought out the bleeding slug gun.
to a fox kill really a slug gun for crying out loud.
but no apparently my ears being used to my 410 baby shot gun i was ill prepared for how quiet a 22 is, really quiet which is good when the neighbours are home.
3 shots in total and bloke thinks 1 sounded like it hit - soon as i heard that over the fence chasing the fox so i could "do something"(2 scarey words do & something).

last couple of nights nothing but my labrador is barking just now so once again ready to sleep i am going out there. back in a tick.
(saving so u will be here)

yep it is still cold out there.
no fox either but 1 REALLY surprised mini pony who was standing in the spot i turned the torch on at first cause i like to sneak out under cover of our fox repell lights flashing and surprise small ponies, poor nuggie . . . . . . boots and a torch what else could i need?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:59 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

happy horses birthday equine creatures large and small!

phill got an ass warmer for his birthday.

suzie didn't and got her pissed-offedy-feet on and attitude of "where's my ass warmer?"

the guinea fowl had to be rescued just before suzie got quite stroppy with phill cause she didn't get an ass warmer too. the little guinea was quite happy on phill and both were warm as toast.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:02 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

tonight i either got home a bit earlier than usual or the day had lengthened enough for me to look around the growing area of my young guineas before they piled in for the night.

i put a picture up of our first guinea egg of the season. the season being WINTER and guineas don't lay yet. i know but don't come by my place and tell my guineas please, please, please. tonight i was walking past our duck yard talking on the phone during lockdown and telling my friend about the guineas laying in winter and not being laying time & i swear those ducks went quiet listening. i had to reassure them i was talking about the guineas not ducks as ducks should be thinking about laying. i could have accidently put them off.

guys i would be skeptical if i saw the picture this time of year and from victoria cause the weather has been ghastly.
okay.
so i have had a few more since the first one and decided to number them and get a new memory card so this pic is from a camera and a bit clearer; these are my starter eggs & i got 5,6,7 this evening.
i think maybe more than 1 is laying as they don't look alike.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:35 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

nice ass.....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:40 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

tah - i do work at it. :biggrin:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next