Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Guinea Fowl

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:38 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guinea Fowl
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:00 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

:rofl:

I don't have Guineas but I love reading this thread for a good laugh!
Grabby, :thumbs: for the Swedish egg!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:15 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Grabby - I was checking out your ass photos and went OMG that poor ass has 2 bum holes, then noticed one of them was a guinea fowl - the resemblence was amazing. :bolt:

Congrats on the eggs - what are you planning on doing with them. You already have 109 guinea fowl, so you would not be considering hatching them and trying to start a line of GF that lay through winter would you? :?:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:23 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

hahahahahha I would go into buisness of Ass warmers, that is priceless.
Yeesh your guineas are laying early arent they. I dont think you need anymore guineas with your 109, I guess you could get to 1000s tho lol.

I only have 30, more than enough noise from that mob at this time of year. :wink:

Last edited by mr bellmere on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
content removed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:54 am 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

hey mr bellmere
i knew you could do it, congratulations!

everyone else there has been some daylight since i posted that you can feel free to confess how many guineas you have. this is a safe place see mr bellmere has snuck his number in. :P

ass warmers yes i can see this being a business i could run from home; probably need to breed up some numbers though to allow for losses due to the wind around here. nah, we have quite a few guineas and really dont need many more. so i will probably only set fancy eggs BUT sometimes the girls get sneaky and do it themselves as lovely guineas do. you know, i rob the nest for a few weeks and suddenly get confronted by an aggro clucky guinea girl.

it is way early but only the new guineas are doing their starter egg thing. i will boil up a heap of eggs today before lunch. my family goes off on eggs when the chooks get back to laying after their rest time.

hey eire you so funny.
are your babies about to hatch soon from Euroa auction?
in case you haven't seen it yet Euroa auction is on again in 2 weeks and some of your brooder/incubator spaces could be empty by then. :lol:

Last edited by grabby on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
content removed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:24 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Out of the half dozen eggs there are three still in the incubator that I hope will hatch on Monday. I was hoping one of my hens would go broody as I have to go up to Darwin, next weekend, for 2 weeks for work (and hopefully buy some acres), but the one I thought was broody was actually egg bound - had to put her down yesterday as I had left it too late and she was very sick. I have learned from the experience though.

I have a mate from work that will feed and check them - I have the watering set up so it hopefully will not need refilling in the two weeks.

I will miss the Albury and the Euroa auction as I will be away - just as well, as I am sick of building pens/cages

Grabby - I will not be able to provide accurate counts of GF numbers when I get them as I am colour blind and will not be able to tell the difference between the rare and normal guineas and I would be a bit embarrassed if I ended up with more than say thirty as that would just be ridiculous :mrgreen:

Last edited by Eire on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
content removed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:03 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

thanks Helby, i am so pleased our swedish are comming back on. since we lost 3 a while back i have planned to hatch early and get some more layer girls; we set 7 under a rhode island red mamma-to-be last weekend and soon will put the next under a couple of silkies. baby ducks are lovely.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:31 am 

hi folks, Thanks for the laughs. I have been laying low and reading the stories. We have approximately 70 guineas in all colours. We are preparing to rear more cinnamons and silvers this season but with an outside temperature right now of 1C, I doubt if they will be laying for a while yet. Regards Russell

Last edited by russellzabel on Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
content removed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:59 am 

hi there. Thank you Dan. I got the link to work now.
I am still waiting for some great photos of the white guineas. There must also be cream ones out there by what I have read!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:23 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

it's my HaPpY BiRtHdAy today and i got . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . you guessed it guinea fowl!

they were early but i got 2 newbies on my birthday eve.
they are in lockdown for a bit but seem alright about it.
i could see them thinking "@ least grabby isn't touching us anymore"

i also got a great book - for the love of ducks that i saw on here so thanks library thread. :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:50 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Well you got them just in time so you could have them for your whole birthday :rofl:

Happy Birthday :claps:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:07 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Happy Birdday! :chicks:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:54 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

thankyou guys, 8)
i had a good birthday; a chookfest weekend of chookchat as my celebration with cake when we went home and 2 more sets of hate filled eyes to hang out with for the "whole day".
they really do not like me today as they are in lockdown for a little while til they are used to us & our place. some of our long term residents were making friends through the wire with them today so that is a good sign for them assimilating into a set crew.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:12 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

109 + 2 = 111 not that anyone is counting

Hi Grabby - hope you had a happy birthday. How was your broody guinea fowl, the one that started laying early - any little keets running around Grabby Manor or are we expecting any in the near future.

I think I have bought my five acres up in Darwin - working out finance atm. Some great looking areas for guinea fowl and a wet season creek at the back.

Hope my job lets me return to Darwin in the next 18 months so I can get some, as the missus is scared s@#tless of snakes and I have told her that guinea fowl hunt snakes(avian version of the terminator) down and will kill every snake in 2 klm radius - may have exagerate a bit.

I have shown her a few pictures and explained that they use the horns to flip and throw the snakes and they peck them to death like an avian lynch mob,she agrees that anything that ugly has to be a mean vicous killer. I do not know if she is gullible or I am a great liar/yarn spinner :hmmm:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:35 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

eire you are definately a good yarn spinner; let's hope she is a tiny bit gullible too so you can get your guineas. fingers crossed that your numbers run well and you can get your land. was your work/trip home good? did your jurassic orpington's hatch go to plan?

it wasn't me that had the clucky guinea, mine were just doing their starter eggs and they have laid a few more but none full size as yet. i don't expect anyone to lay their regular eggs until end of september or october depending on the weather. the young ones i expect will lay around christmas unless the starter eggs kick them into gear early. so i wonder if the person who had the clucky guinea has had babies yet? :?
with the weather lately i would be surprised but wrapt if they posted pictures for us to see.

i took this picture just on dark tonight with a torch & flash.

look closely at the teenage guineas that have decided they live up the tree over their pen. they have a chooky guinea that was a chick at the same time they were. she thinks she is a guinea fowl and can fly as far up the tree as they do.

no not counting today as a few have passed on; so 2 new but some already dead. have tried some stuff on sickly ones but as yet if sick looking they die. i have been watching the good samaritan guinea thread to see how some others are doing. i will recount when spring starts.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:18 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Sorry to hear you have lost a few. I also have been reading those posts about GF dying and was quite surprised as I thought they were an extreemly hardy bird and the only thing that could kill them were foxes and cars. I had sort of assumed if there was a nuclear war that the only thing that survived would be cockroaches, rats and guinea fowl and eventually the GF would kill and eat the other two.
they seem to think that it is blackhead that is kiling them. GF seem like a very independent typeof bird and I suspect they would be very difficult to worm or medicate.

I met a bloke up in Darwin that is trying to breed some poultry and is working out what types thrive in the climate. I do not think he has tried GF yet and I hope they can handle the climate. He has no porblems with foxes up here but has lost alot of chooks, geese and turkeys to dingos. Hoping the GF tendancy to roost up high will keep them safe but will have to look at the fencing so I can keep them safe if they sit on eggs.

The 3 jurassic chicks hatched and are probably the cutest chick I have seen. The brooder light blew two days after I left but luckily the brooder they were in was reasonably well insulated and the mate checking up on them caught it in time - I have not heard from him in a week and am asuming no news is good news. I am still up in Darwin, the trip was great - the work was hard but satisfying and the hoiday was very sucussfull and I am pretty sure I have bought the home/land I plan on spending the next 10-15 years. :woot:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next