Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Guinea Fowl

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:04 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Guinea Fowl
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:17 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

i think guineas would be great in the dry conditions of darwin as they originally came from african deserts; especially if they were hatched in the warmth. i know they don't much like mud - who does - so dry would be better.

the image of guineas hunting down rats n roaches like THE VERMINATOR post apocalyptic style is awesome and would be a cool movie idea kinda mad max in nature.

mostly i think our guineas are hardy, stand offish scooter chooks. they like to be around their people but don't want to cuddle or sit on your knee. yes the ones i put drench stuff on the other night screeched n tried to get away but there is not far to go in a closed shed & with my psycho focus on them. there was nobody left untreated when i was done but that was only 15 of which 2 were tired looking. i am hoping that if anymore are under the weather they will sleep inside with their mum and i can do the same to them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:36 am 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

the below quote from the thread: http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/posting.php?mode=quote&f=24&p=756265 reminded me of this thread that i loved.
grabby wrote:
NellyG wrote:
I don't think they mate for life - I saw no sign that any of the birds 'paired off'. They were just a flock and the males took their favours where ever they could!
yes no and sometimes the favours where ever they could too in my experience of guineafowl.

i will give an example or 3:
Sylvia a silver guineafowl mated up with FOS (friend of Sylvia) and they were a unit. if you saw Sylvia and not FOS then turn around as he was always nearby. one day they were crossing the street as chooks do and FOS got hit and died.
Sylvia was right there when we got home and brought him in.
we lay our hit guineas out in the shade for an hour or so and the others all wander by and do the group stare(see bottom of post). Sylvia hung about and looked but did not leave and watched us bury FOS. she did not mate up or hang out much for the rest of that Summer and i didn't get another egg from her. they are now, Sylvia & FOS racing about scooter style in heaven.

mid Summer Lenard and Penny were an item. they really liked each other and hung out with another couple, Sheldon and Amy. all was good. then along came Kripkey and turned Penny's head. seizing his opportunity he took Penny from Lenard a gentle soul, not prone to fighting.
poor Lenard was despondent; until weeks later i moved the first hatch of the year out to a nearby pen. he moved in with them and hung out, no mating or other aggressive behaviour. by the end of Summer, they were all free ranging and he had paired up with a young lavender girl called FOL(friend of Lenard). this Spring they are together hanging with Sheldon and Amy and even near Penny and Kripkey but not too close.
Kripkey wouldn't mind 2 girls of his own.

the group stare: this involves a crew standing about chattering and one head pokes out of the group staring hard at the interesting thing then pops back in and another extends to look close. this can go on and on until they work out what it is or what is going on.

scooter chooks: several guineas running with just legs moving single file in a speedy manner about the yard with imaginary Benny Hill chase music.
well summed up by PossumCorner
PossumCorner wrote:
racing around your yard (in single file) at the speed of light.

:-D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:56 am 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

if anyone reads towards the end of this thread and see that there has been content removed by me.
yep, i did it folks.
mid 2012 there was a bad time here for many folks; myself included.
another poultry forum had taken a particular dislike to BYP and any number of members here with me included once again. i let these guineafowl stories die but i have always been a bit sad that i couldn't add to it again, without reviving the aggro.

a wise friend said to me: you enjoyed it, do it for you.
i would encourage anyone else that has loved doing something that harms no one else to do it / your thing.

live your life and be happy.

the news; which i do my best to avoid is full of fallout events from people not feeling good about themselves.
from Thursday June 28th, 2012.
grabby wrote:
hey guys how about them guinea fowl?

i love those crazy scoot about chooks . . . . . . . . in fact bought 3 more today.
they were really well behaved considering i got all grabby on them within 3 minutes of them ever seeing me.
glad really as we were in a car park next to an orchard and they could have scooted into the distance easy as.

i have been missing the guinea stories as lately there have been none; i check most days.

have your guineas done anything cool or scooter chook u would like to share?
if not i will be forced to talk to myself.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:41 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Great to see youre getting back to guinea stories Grabby :-D , ive always enjoyed reading them .
Our new neighbors have a pair....absolutely love the crazy antics and noise , and its great - we get to have guineas here for the day when they decide to visit over the fence ...our local scrub turkey however is not amused :laughing

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:40 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

last night during lockdown i saw a good Mamma and her full grown keet.

Attachments:
uploadfromtaptalk1411270753582.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1411270753582.jpg [ 1.73 MiB | Viewed 3101 times ]
uploadfromtaptalk1411270704551.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1411270704551.jpg [ 1.99 MiB | Viewed 3101 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:38 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Beautiful photo Grabby , what a good mum hen :thumbs: , and i finally have a couple of pictures to add to your thread .

These are my 'claytons' guineas ; they belong to a neighbor , early this morning i heard them kicking up a racket , went and investigated to find them making a bee-line to my wyandottes ., who were most put out by the newcomers invading their territory :-D , a couple of hours later and everyones settled down ......the guineas certainly look beautiful scuttling around the green grass :biggrin:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:43 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

How come you have green grass! You must have had a bit of rain in the valley. :-P

It's so droughty here the bare ground is cracking. Sorry off-topic. :hiding

Great photos grabby and angel!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:55 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

The valleys have a fairly close watertable so the grass stays greener in the lower areas for longer , this is the only green grass left on the property , everything else is brown or weeds.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:47 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

they a sure on the job there angelcake. maybe "your" guineas might lay while they are visiting.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:50 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

i wonder what was going on with the Wyandottes to attract them right to them?

ps i love the grass too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:00 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

They probably came calling because the dottes were all excited about their morning feed , neighbors have a young bub whos been keeping them up at night so its possible the guineas hadnt been fed yet , they have gone back home now but theyre most welcome to visit anytime :-D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6