Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - New surprise keets today...

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:33 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:52 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I thought i had lost my last female, but lo and behold she turned up today with 8 keets. After a few hours she was down to 7 and I thought (aaaah! why did I interfere!) whle they were so small and she was protective I would catch her and put her in a run with the keets. Well I caught her with much screeching, but the keets went 7 different directions in long grass! Ive found 5 and spend the last 2 hours searching and sitting and calling like a guinea fowl mum. i just figured with the snakes, the kookas, the currawongs, owls, rats and wild dogs they didnt stand a chance but it seems I have eliminated 2 (or 3) all my myself.

anyone have any tips for finding them? Should I just let her and the other keets out and leave them to the wilds, and maybe she will find them? Help!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:38 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

I would have taken away or penned the keets/mother too as the risk of loss to predators just too great. If there is a next time perhaps try quietly herding or coaxing with feed the mother & keets into a keet escape proof pen if you have one & can.

If I were in your current situation I would place the keets you have caught in a brooder (if you have one, & depending on age) for the time being. You could try letting the mother out to see if she will find the two lost keets. They will likely have a better chance of survival overnight if she is with them, especially if only recently hatched. The risk remains though that a predator will find the ground brooding mum & keets and all could be lost.

If she did find them today but you run out of daylight to do anything with them, & they made it through the night, then you could try again tomorrow if opportunity arises. Penning the mother with the keets in a keet escape proof pen might work, but the mother may not take to this if she is used to, or wanting to free range.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:27 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Sungrrl,
Welcome to the forum
you have done the right thing. They wouldn't last long in the wild.
Is it possible to put her with the chicks into say a rabbit hutch or small secure cage and put her somewhere near the rescue site?
She will call them in , in no time. Once you see them go from there.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:51 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Reasonably happy results.

We managed to catch 5 of the keets and put them with mum in a small mobile run I have. I spent 2 good hours searching for the young ones with no luck. Later in the afternoon, my son and i found 2 babies huddle up to the cage on the outside...I said "somehow 2 have got out" and proceeded to look for a hole. No hole. Incredibly these 2 little 12hr old warriors had braved 100metres of open lawn (and magpie, kookaburra families) and found their mum. The last little lavendar one was not to be found. :( Mum seems reasonably happy in the mobile pen....her suitors all sit around her keeping her company.

I have only hatched keets under chooks before and it is quite heartwarming to see how the whole flock (7 males now..) all tend to the young ones and keep lookout. (Much nicer than chooks)

Do you think if I keep them enclosed for say 2 weeks with mum, that would be long enough? Or best to keep them till they can fly...I cant remember how long that takes...2/3weeks?

Thanks guys.
( I used to come on here as Koonyumchooks, but it wouldnt let me sign in yesterday, so I have re registered.)
Admin: author of posts re-assigned to new name

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:48 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Great result! Well done.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:52 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

great news that you got most of the keets back in with Mum.

i personally wouldn't free range keets under 6 weeks old or older. we have been having 3/4 grown guineafowl disappearing recently. i think hawks / flying hunters as no feathers. smaller would be easier targets.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:29 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Good result Sungrrl. This morning I did a total stuff-up in Guinea management. Two of the-free range group of six ran into the locked-up group of eleven's pen as I took feed in. Never intended letting these go free as they are laying now and then, and I want the eggs. But this was such a full-on drama, lots of argy-bargy and panic attacks going on: and I couldn't separate the two invaders to ease them out without the suicidal panic increasing. So I took the easy option and let them all out. Bad mistake. All day has been fine, noisy truce, but come evening they struck off in different directions, six of the eleven youngsters went home to bed like good kids, and five have decamped. One I luckily caught up in the silo paddock next door with the neighbour's Clydesdales, one is in my pony paddock I hope the Shetlands will deter foxes from sniffing around. Three still missing. Wouldn't you think they'd stick together at evening-fall?

Please, no foxes tonight for once. Wheat is being harvested on both sides of our block, so fox movements will hopefully be disrupted tonight by the spot- lights and the clanking.

Quail are so much easier.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:47 am 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

did your guineafowl come home for breaky PossumCorner?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:41 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

grabby wrote:
great news that you got most of the keets back in with Mum.

i personally wouldn't free range keets under 6 weeks old or older. we have been having 3/4 grown guineafowl disappearing recently. i think hawks / flying hunters as no feathers. smaller would be easier targets.

Thanks - good advice. The cage they are in is only about 2m x 1m....would that be a bit small for them at that age? I could just catch the youngsters and put them in a larger run...will have trouble grabbing mum I suspect, but maybe possible.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:41 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

i think 2m x 1m just now is plenty of room.
in a few weeks a larger space would be good.

i have a fishing net that i pop over guineas resistant to being caught which could help with grabbing Mamma.
it really has saved a lot of trouble rounding up one particular scooter chook before.