Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Guinea fowl pairing

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guinea fowl pairing
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:11 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I am new to guinea fowl, I bought four one week olds and three of them survived. Out of the three I have two females and one male. They are rather strange animals.

I assume that breeding season is close as the male and one of the females have paired up, the other female is scared of them. The lone female is often chased away or even attacked by the male. The attacking is very short lived and does not seem to be serious, it looks like it is for show. It is always the male who is showing aggression towards the lone female.

Is this normal? Will the aggression get worse as they start to lay eggs and breed? Should I remove the spare female or will she be ok? I would have thought that one male and two females would be fine, but now I am starting to worry.

Also, the guinea fowl are living in with some young pullets and a young rooster. Should I separate them or can they share together? Some of the chickens seem to be missing a few feathers on their head, I do not know if the guinea fowl did it or it was something else.

Post subject: Re: Guinea fowl pairing
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:35 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

When I had Guineas I have more females than males and there did not seem to be a pairing up process that I could see. The entire flock seemed to pick on one poor male!

NellyG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:16 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

I would be inclined to think you have 2 males and one female . They are very difficult to sex unless you have experience . Normally a couple of hens to each male works well in a flock as long as the whole flock has grown up together . Introducing other birds into the flock is not so easy . In the breeding season chooks in the same pen might get a bit of a hammering from the male guinea fowl.
It is a couple of months yet ( depending where you are in Australia ) before breeding season so any aggression is only going to get worse . Photos of the 3 might help re telling you what sex of each is .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:36 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I have taken your advice and removed the chickens, I would hate for anything to happen if I can help it. The guinea fowl do not like change!

I do not know if I will be able to get photos. Last time I tried they would not stand still.

I am new to guinea fowl and am basing my gender estimate purely on the sound they make. The two I think are females both make two syllable calls. Even though I can not tell them apart easily they both make their call at the same time when I am watching them. The one I think is a male has larger wattles (which is the only reason I can tell it apart from the others) and I am yet to see it make the two syllable call.

Roughly when do they usually lay eggs? Mine are old enough so I am just waiting for the season, but do not know when that normally is. I was guessing they would start in summer when the chickens ease off laying due to the heat.