Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - How much for peafowl?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:32 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:56 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

This is a very nice green

The birds for sale are young probably a year old not seeing anything there that would resemble green but am often wrong :-)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:41 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Is it true that green peafowl are aggressive and you can't free rande them as they will just fly off? Also what kind of feed do you use? I have been using the game bird range but mine free range so they find their own food, mostly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:47 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Greens are larger, have longer legs, males are green rather than blue and they have a tight topknot rather than a fan. So it was the topknot in these birds that got me wondering.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:07 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Ahh thanks for that info. They are beautiful!

NellyG

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:46 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

A nice young pair of Indian Blue Peafowl! If there is green ancestry it is way back in the history, they look pretty pure to me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:49 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I agree with pricing but maybe not sell them as a pair if they are brother and sister???? We have young ones like this too and everyone says they have green in them but I wonder really as there is supposedly nowhere where the green has come from in ours. As for why the males are cheaper, the females get taken by foxes as they nest on the ground and so there is an endless market for females. Males are easier to keep and manage. The moral is really to pen them!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:05 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Pam, excellent to have that clarification from someone who should know the difference! Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:11 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks Andrewschooks, But honestly I would have trouble picking them when young. I have not had any experience with them. I suggest that people google this site, Peacock Kingdom. The breeder has adult pairs of greens and the site is worth looking at anyway for her beautiful pics. There is some argument as to whether they are Java Greens and she thinks they are Indo-Chinese greens. She doesn't know whether they are 100% pure but they are probably the closest you will get to a species of green in Oz, along with a few other breeders' birds. There is also a hybrid male in the Melbourne Zoo.

I think definitely for the very experienced breeder. She has to wear armour into one of her pens to clean them as the male is so aggressive, and I know of another bloke in Mudgee who has the same problem with his male.

I will take a pic of the girl we have who is very dark and has a tight coronet also. She also lays a very small white shiny egg as against the others who lay a creamy brown, rough surfaced egg. She wouldn't let our white male (whom she is in with so she doesn't "pollute" the pure reverse pied lines) mate with her so I didn't get any progeny from her this year. We did have some other dark males and females who have been distributed around with the info that they may have green in them from generations back, however it got there!!! Just having trouble with my iphone which has a dodgy update and loading at present as I have an equally dodgy modem: waiting for a new one. P

Last edited by Pam on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:33 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

They are definitly not greens. If they do have any green blood (as queried by anderwschooks) it would be a very very small percentage and would/should in my opinion, make them worth less than both pure indian blue, and the high percentage and pure greens we have here.
Even though the birds look to be roughly 6 months old, greens of similar age can be easily determined by their overall dark colouration, longer legs and lack of any blue colouration on the neck. Once you know what you are looking for the the differences are striking.

Images can be seen here at World Pheasant Association-Australian Chapter -
http://www.wpaoz.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15&Itemid=20
The last picture shows a young bird, and gives a good comparison for the topic birds...

Broken link deactivated, Mod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:20 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi i Milan and im after pair of Java green peacocks my ph 0417971149

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:48 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Welcome to the forum Milan!

This thread is a little old. You may have more luck posting in the 'wanted and for sale' thread. Please bear in mind that pure greens are rare and expensive and there are many crosses with blues about.