Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Choosing a pure Golden Pheasant

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:56 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:07 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi everyone

This is a guide for people both new and experienced with pheasants. In this topic i hope to show the difference between a pure bred Golden Pheasant and a hybrid. Hopefully this topic will help reduce the Golden X Lady Amherst population and will help people identify a quality Golden Pheasant.

A couple of tips when buying Golden Pheasants
1. If possible view the birds prior to purchasing them. View the parent stock. I strongly recommend this.
2. Look for off-colouring. For example a tiny bit of orange in the breast.
3. If someone says they are Banded Goldens then the birds are guaranteed hybrids, (There is NO such mutation)
4. Try and buy first or second year birds if possible.
5. Talk to the breeder. Do not be afraid to ask questions. Most real breeders know about the breed and will happily answer questions.

This is a photo of a trio of my Golden Pheasants. In this photo you can see that the males plumage is strong, there is no smudging and the black bands along the neck are solid with no breaks.

Attachments:
File comment: This is a pure Golden Pheasant. Good plumage, leg colour. This is what a pure bird should look like front on.
http://wall.alphacoders.com/big.php?i=401857

401857.jpg
401857.jpg [ 650.37 KiB | Viewed 3885 times ]
File comment: Another obvious hybrid. Smudged plumage, an orange-gold crest and his neck is that of a Lady Amherst. Even his leg colour is slightly blue.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/hybridbirds/discuss/72157603150153270/

Hybrid 2.jpg
Hybrid 2.jpg [ 190.33 KiB | Viewed 3885 times ]
File comment: This bird is a very obvious hybrid. The yellow band across his chest, his plumage is quite smudged and not neat and the black barring on the neck is not complete (have a look at the pure bird in picture 1)http://ramgopals.wordpress.com/page/3/
hybrid-pheasant.jpg
hybrid-pheasant.jpg [ 79.19 KiB | Viewed 3885 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:25 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Some straightforward and really useful tips for males, but are there any tips for hens? The hybrid and pure hens look pretty similar from what I can recall (I've not had pheasants for about 30 years).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:31 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

The females look almost identical. Hybrid females will generally have blue legs (see the hybrid male i noted for example) where a pure Golden hen must have yellow legs.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:42 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Quote from GBWF website

"The Dark-throated Golden was the first mutation developed from the golden pheasant, however, there is recent information that disputes validity of this being a pure mutation. This dark bird was first seen in the 1860s. The adult male resembles a normal golden, but is darker with a smoky-black face and throat. The tail is also barred and not spotted as in the normal form. The hen is easily distinguishable from a normal hen. She is much darker all around with dark barring. The chicks differ from normal goldens in being dark brown with white spots. There are many indications that these birds could in fact be derived from Amherst crossings."

From my experience there is some noticeable difference in the hens which can been seen, but this only really stands out when you see the 2 side by side.(other than grey/blue legs)

I have also had people say you can tell from the tails of the hens being spotted, and the Darks Throats having a barred tail. I do not agree with this as I have had hens with spotted tails one year then have some barring the next year, also I have seen lots of photos on reputable sites of pure golden hens with barring on their tails, if the barring were to be on the cockbirds tail I would dismiss him straight away from being pure!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:50 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thanks for that Callum

I tend to agree that the dark-throat mutation originated from a Golden x Amherst. I have seen a fair few hybrids and a couple of these birds have had a dark throat, though not to the degree of the Dark throat mutation.

I forgot to add that the 'dark throat' hens are much darker and i will add a picture of a normal and a dark throat mutation.
I may have to start another topic for us to discuss Golden mutations :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:53 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

A young male should look like this by this age, a dark throat would already be showing the black, just like young Amherst cockbirds at this age! about 6 months old.

Attachments:
Rusty1.jpg
Rusty1.jpg [ 215.31 KiB | Viewed 3862 times ]
Rusty.jpg
Rusty.jpg [ 153.81 KiB | Viewed 3862 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:02 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

This is what the Dark throated mutation looks like.

Attachments:
File comment: http://www.cacklehatchery.com/gamebirdpage.html
darkthroatedgoldenpheasant.jpg
darkthroatedgoldenpheasant.jpg [ 158.62 KiB | Viewed 3857 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:04 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Great pictures! Link added to Index ('Other' Poulrty)

NellyG (Mod)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:12 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I hadn't seen any that dark all over most of the ones I see are like this

Attachments:
darkThroat.png
darkThroat.png [ 124.29 KiB | Viewed 3849 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:25 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

I understand that the dark throat behaves like a single gene but modern molecular biology has shown that it is not a simple mutation. Rather it is a sizeable piece of sequence that is different. The implication being that its not a mutation but a gene introgressed from Amherst.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:39 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thats interesting Andrew

That's what most Dark throated Goldens generally look like but overseas the dark throated Goldens look like the birds in the pic I posted.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:46 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

These pheasants are on my wish list, thanks for sharing how to spot a non pure line. :shock:
Seems such a shame to mess with them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:58 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi Chad, welcome to BYP!

Golden Pheasants are a great breed, hopefully you will be able to find some pure ones soon :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:46 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Another great topic!

I find the "dark throat" birds from overseas to be very different to the ones I have seen here in Australia. I cannot comment on those birds, however I know someone who breeds a very large number of Goldens each year, he runs around 8 breeding pens. He has experimented with dark throat birds and quite often the offspring to throw young cocks with yellow bands or partial bands on the chest. These birds have to be derived from Amherst blood. Trying to pass them off as banded pied is just irresponsible. He would just cull birds like that and eventually culled all birds from those lines this past season. I will say though, it is very hard to find a standout golden hen with very yellow legs these days, quite a few of them have that olive tinge to them, I would be culling these birds out each generation and focusing on breeding the best examples of wild type birds we can!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:55 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Thanks for posting this B_Hunter.

What you wrote is something I often point out. The Dark Throated birds in Australia are different to birds overseas. I believe that birds here are the result of a cross to the Amherst. I have seen progeny from dark throated birds and they have had yellow in the chest, a crossbreed feature.