Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - silver jap quail

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:16 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: silver jap quail
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:09 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Just got myself some new Jap Quails from Sydney quail man I am curious if anyone has seen this colour before he described it as silver it is next to a fawn for comparison .
Sorry about picture quality.

Attachments:
005.JPG
005.JPG [ 2.31 MiB | Viewed 4830 times ]
001.JPG
001.JPG [ 2.08 MiB | Viewed 4840 times ]

Post subject: Re: silver jap quail
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:06 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

pretty much just looks like a speckled italian female to me

i have a silver male i will take a pic tomorrow and show u

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:34 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

That is pretty. Is the colour sex-related?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:35 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

That would be good to see thanks redline I know very little about quails but thought ITALIAN hens had more beige on them than this one .

I have since done a search and have seen silvers are this colour without the Italian pattern so would be interested to see your pictures.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:07 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Here he is

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.62 MiB | Viewed 4748 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:08 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

A better pic

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.48 MiB | Viewed 4747 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:11 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I have looked at quite a few overseas sites now and from what I have seen I don't think yours is silver either, but thank you for the photo ,from the overseas sites the silvers are the colour of mine without the pattern similar to a solid white but with the silver colour your one is unusual but to me it looks like a diluted wild type Image this one is close to the silvers overseas , winglet also has a couple in her photos that look very close .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:17 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

That looks like a king quail to me not a jap

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:27 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Image This is winglets one it is definitely jap ,I am only just starting with quail so not very knowledgable but from my searches this is what the quail look like that are said to classified as silver.

From what I have read silver is a dilute similar to blue in chickens so you may well be right about your boy thanks for answering me .

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:36 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I'll go up & take some photos of my lighter quail & you can tell me what you think they are. The one in that photo isn't with me anymore... would have been rehomed or eaten as the colour was not uniform. If you can see the pale brown on it, it is not a "silver" (unless they're supposed to have all that brown).

I have one aviary running all Italians & the other a mix of colours ranging from nearly white (I did have a pure white but I ate him) through to the traditional wild type colouring. I'm heading for all lighter colours, as I'm not really interested in the darker ones.

Back soon... hopefully there's enough natural light left tonight to get some reasonable photos.... photos taken (hopefully some will show the colours / patterns well enough).... having dinner now & will upload them in a bit.

Last edited by Winglet on Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:49 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

I hatched this from some of winglets eggs...and she looks just like yours...she doesn't look as much the same in this picture but its the only pic I could find of her.

Attachment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381999635.146604.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381999635.146604.jpg [ 119.07 KiB | Viewed 4698 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:56 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Not the best photos... will do some in the daytime at some point...

Currently my palest...

Remind me to trim her toenail !!

My favourites in this aviary...

Washed out...

The Italian aviary

Man of the house in front

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:27 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Here's a photo that shows the colour differences between the palest of my current lot & the others. The ghost-like image of the dark brown one gives you an indication of how quickly they shoot upwards when they want to take off... that one was completely still as I pressed the shutter button but by the time I'd pressed it down & the photo was taken... well, there's the result !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:15 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Here are some examples I found of silvers http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4511860071400784&w=133&h=155&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7 and another http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4571083359193814&w=250&h=155&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7 this one may look like a king quail but the website I got it from said its Japanese , here is a discussion on quail colours http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/565880/japanese-coturnix-quail-color-varieties the silvers are near the end but then I found this http://openi.nlm.nih.gov/detailedresult.php?img=2841575_1471-2156-11-15-2&req=4 so from what I can gather silver is a dilute gene similar to blue in chickens which I assume acts differently if expressed through wild type or through Italian or Manchurian for example . I love the look of your quails winglet reading your threads convinced me to give them another try. I was told by the guy who I got these off who has a lot of quails the one I had was silver now I am not sure .

Two links not working so deactivated. Mod

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:58 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I'm glad I had a small hand in you taking on quail again... they're unbelievably easy to keep, IMHO, and quite entertaining to boot. Nowhere near as friendly as a chook or duck can be, but definitely have individual characters !

I'd seen some of those pages re: the colours.... I still find it difficult to work out which are which for many of the colours, even with those photos & descriptions.

If the "silver" is a blue/grey showing through, then I'm fairly certain that at least some of the birds I have carry it. Both the "white" bird in the photos (it has a lot of pale patterning which is hard to pick up either in photos or in real life at times) & the bird in the photo directly above the Italian hen photo may have "silver". Both have blue/grey feathers... you can see it in the photo above the Italian hen in places, particularly along the sides of the body.

Funnily enough, I've rid myself of several birds showing that blue/grey colour as it makes them look washed out to me. Perhaps I'll keep the next ones to experiment with & see if I can produce a more silver-COLOURED bird, similar to your initial hen in this thread. Your hen looks to me to have the Italian pattern but white where you'd normally find the pale & dark brown colours.

My problem is that I'm quite happy to hatch at random, without any regard to who's mating with whom, or which colour or pattern crossed with another will produce what. I'm more interested in keeping the heaviest & those that lay a larger egg.... and then selecting the "prettiest" (in my eyes) from my final few picks. One day I'll pay more attention & map out what produces what here.