Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Amateur Quail person needing help please

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:56 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:15 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

I am such a slacko, no photos yet. And now I've "stuffed" it because yesterday/today finally have all quail in the one run, and of course mostly can't tell them apart. Guineafowl your yellow chick is an unusual pied, so is standout, will get a shot of him (will keep him with a few white or pied hens). Grabby one of yours is a lovely creamy boy so will keep him with some cream/buff hens. Otherwise not sure what to do with the other twenty or so boys, but will think on it.

I've had a few eggs from them, but I don't expect much til springtime. I know they would lay through winter if they started in early autumn, but doesn't look likely now, maybe just a very few.

Must charge a battery, find a card, and get the camera out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:31 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

How are the quail going Possum?? Any photos yet?? how is the yellow one looking??

GF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:15 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Ummm. No photos, no excuse. More to the point, no eggs.

Are anyones' quail laying well (or at all)?? I see some quail eggs at a farmer's market but understand they are intensively kept, in cages and under lights. I can't stand that with chooks, let alone quail. So waiting waiting for winter to finish. We are still in cold and frost mode, with days just starting to lengthen.

And (happy dance) - a new quail pen almost finished, they are in a 3x3 metre now - the new one is 5x8, so will have room for some extra planting and habitat improvement.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:57 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hi Possum, Are quail like Guinea's and seasonal layers?? or do they lay all year round, give or take??

How did the little yellow one turn out?? Is it male or female, it certainly was a unique little one, not that I know anything about quail. :huh?

You will have to charge that camera up Possum, photos are a must..

GF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:46 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

We're in the Northern Suburbs of Melbourne... cold & rainy at present, with Spring around the corner & daylight hours increasing at present but maximum temperatures under 15 degrees (Celsius) most days. Rarely frost on the ground, but still cold !

Our Japanese quail are in an outdoor aviary with no artificial light or heat all year round. Photo of the aviary they're in is below (taken 3 years ago, when it was first set up for them).

Laying started up again from our hens about a week or two ago... with an additional hen coming into lay every couple of days (I think we only have about 8 hens at present... must go up & count them). I expect that if they're not already all laying by now they will all be laying within another week or two in earnest. That's on a complete layer feed for chooks, too.

I'm planning to hatch reasonable numbers for the rest of the year for food, so will be doing a major cleanout of the aviary as I only clean it out about once a year, if that. Will be freshening up their bedding, sticking a couple of bales of lucerne in for them to have fun with, and putting them on a richer food before I start collecting eggs for hatching. Currently their eggs are extra protein for the chooks, who love a free quail egg.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:26 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Hey There
Great set up and I have been watching this thread with interest as I have been "Crunching the numbers" so to speak.
I dress our own roo's, ducks and have recently purchased 8 top quality (95% sure they are in lamb) Dorper Ewes,
It is getting to the stage that if one can do it we have to start producing our own meat etc...

"Cold Climate" birds and animals.
IE Destined for the freezer.
I am just planning ahead for the quail, so as I said I am studying this thread with great interest...

I love Guinea Fowel too but the 5 acre neighbourhood could be an issue with these critters, they fly like Angels my Mum tells me... and run their chicks to death so another covered pen would be in order...
:^