Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Amateur Quail person needing help please

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:07 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:04 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Day of Setting = Day Zero
24 hrs later = Day 1 commencing (or for little midgy quail eggs, let's say 12 hrs later).
24 hrs later = End of Day 1 & Day 2 commencing... and so on.

So setting 10pm 22nd Feb 2014 it would be day 18 (the most commonly quoted incubation time for Japanese quail in the publications I can find).... on or about Wed 12th.

Depending on incubator settings, it seems common enough for them to hatch anywhere from day 15 or 16 through day 20 (ish)... although unlike chook eggs they do tend to all hatch from the one setting within about 24 to 36 hours of each other, in my experience... regardless of any differences in size of the eggs (bearing in mind that for a 14 gram egg, 1.4 grams less or more is a full 10% smaller or larger). Although grabby has listed 12 grams as approx. weight, the line of quail you have can easily lay larger than that.

They'll be fully feathered in well under 6 weeks & I've had laying start from as early as just after 4 weeks, and it can be as late as 10 or 12 weeks (ish) if the daylength (or their lighting) is short. The older they are the better I reckon as, like chooks, they'll have had more time to put energy into growing larger & stronger before having all their energy put into egglaying. That should, generally, mean larger eggs once they reach optimum laying size, over their lifetime.

Have fun with them... Japanese quail chicks are MANY times more active than chook chicks. Mine have always been RUNNING (not walking) around in their brooder on the same day they hatch.. eating, drinking, and exploring... VERY entertaining.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:42 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

thank you Winglet; i was hoping you would pop by this thread.
i have been thinking today that the suro the eggs have been in has been taking a bit longer to hatch eggs. so in the morning i am going to recalibrate the temperature setting with my medical thermometer.

i put the hatched 2 days ago ones in a brooder and they were howing into crumble & water, passing out then running psycho around the box.

i put all the eggs back in one hatcher and candled them - 30ish never activated to start with so i removed them and the 6 more that hatched this morning, now have room to play soccer in the suro while they toughen up before going into the brooder.
so cute.
:)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:36 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Any more hatched Gabby, or was that the lot?

I have new baby quail in the bathroom, bought 40 a few days old unsexed, and not happy leaving the brooder in the shed in case of mice or rats getting in. So the bathroom is the only spot in the house I am sure the dogs can't access. Yes they are fun to watch, they are totally busy running from food to water to heat-lamp, forty winks then back to food. They'll have to go 'outside' soon, and with the cool change (feels like winter today, never thought I'd say that again after the unending heat wave) could need the heatlamp til they are grownups.

This might not be the right thread, but seeing quail people are here - yesterday I sold a few eggs at a market, and I find quail eggs don't sell as readily as hens' eggs, people are not so sure about them, think on it then pass by. So I made up card boxes only two inches deep (I think 5cm??) to take 6-8 eggs, just a sample, with some cute chickens and a bow for decoration. Didn't sell a lot but I think with some signage and a recipe leaflet it's worth persevering for a few markets, see how we go (I sold out of the 'ordinary' egg pots, so happy with the morning). And the quail egg boxes look like this:

Cute or what?? This is why I need a few more quail, can't commit to being at the market then not have enough eggies to take along, how embarrassing would that be.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:03 am 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

quail eggs are gorgeous! i would've bought some possumcorner if i was cruising your market.
i picture teeny fried eggs on those tiny toasts. yum.

i haven't counted the final figure lately as 2 passed n 3 were born later plus 5 massive fresh-born guineas in with them. i keep worrying that they are so small & such goers that they will do themselves in. but will count tonight. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:11 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I love your idea of selling quail eggs.... I'd change the pic on them to a cute little quail pic (not that that is going to be too easy to source... but you never know what might turn up on an internet search).

The recipes being supplied sounds ideal, too.

Some people just passing them by after taking a look may decide after a few visits over time to try some.

I think that if you had the time & inclination, some photos of the quail chicks, and of quail adults, and cracked open eggs (both raw & maybe boiled / fried etc) would help people see them as less unusual.

Having said that... some people find "new" things totally alien... on taking a bunch of quail eggs to work one day, someone asked for them to be removed from the kitchen as they reckoned that (due to the brown spots) they looked like they were "off".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:57 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

What day should I stop turning the eggs, day 15 or 16??

GF

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:37 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

either will do.
are you up to there now guineafowl?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:08 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Toworrow is day 15 Grabby, I'm not sure they are going to hatch though. I have tried to candle them but not sure what im looking at.. Being so small, I cant see any veins or anything like the chooks eggs..

I will have to wait and see.

GF

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:37 am 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

i candled & wanted to put a couple of photos up here but so tiny it was hard to see let alone a picture.
visually i saw clears & removed, dark - back in & sloshy - chucked fast.
goodluck!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:13 am 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

any movement guineafowl?

i just remembered that i noticed a weird smell, when they started to hatch.
not aweful just odd.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:46 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

No action yet Grabby, I checked this morning before I left for work.

Funny you should mention the smell, I lifted the lid last night to put some more water in and I also noticed a strong smell in there that I haven't smelt up until this point!!

Maybe when I get home this arvo they might have started... Without looking at my calendar I think today is day 17..

Will keep you posted on progress.

GF

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:28 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Watching and waiting.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:31 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Waiting in anticipation possumcorner... Never seen baby quail before..

GF

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:21 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Hi There to everyone.
This thread has been so helpful to me...
I am looking at Quail as opposed to getting another breed of duck.
We want them for our own use and if I sell excess birds that is fine...
Restaraunt's in Wagga are curious and I know what you mean about people being suspect about eating different eggs.

I looove the Pekin and White Aylebury eggs :duck2 They are so delicious and nothing like Muscovie eggs.
Try and convince Restaurant owner's where I live of that one.
They are amazing to cook with and I used them last week to make the whites for Home Made Ice Cream. Much better binding agents.
So incubating the same temp as chookies!
17 day's incubation!
Quick growing and I know they are superb eating...
If anyone has some fertile eggs please let me know. :^

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:55 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I am glad we have been helpful fluffychicken... I am just an amateur at quail..

Dear Grabby & Possumcorner... They are hatching!! I cant believe it ... I opened the lid to add more water tonight and 1 has pipped and I had a listed to e few other quickly and I can hear them pecking inside the egg... couldn't help myself...

Its exciting now!!

GF

Possumcorner... I have PM'd you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next