Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Amateur Quail person needing help please

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:10 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:34 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

A friend has given me some quail eggs to hatch.. I insisted that I did not want them but he was not taking no for a answer... so I have about 40 quail eggs...

I have read that they are the same incubator setting as for chickens so that is a good thing... apart from that I know nothing about quail. He doesn't know what type of quail they are, but the eggs have lots of brown/black spots on them..

So when and if they hatch how do I care for them?? Can I put them with some day old chicks, can I put them outside with the chicks when they are off the heat?? Do they need to be in a fully enclosed run, if not will they fly away??
Can I feed them chick/turkey starter like my other chicks and Guinea Keets??

So many questions about quail.. I have no idea what I am going to do if all these eggs hatch... OMG...

GF

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:04 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

:idea: Some answers may be found in the Quail Index Sticky (viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7994471) at the top of this forum - at least I wanted to make sure you were aware of that info source. I can tell you that they are tiny and very active right from the beginning so check the size of openings in any mesh or fencing on brooder and grower enclosure. Have fun with them! :-D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:53 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Thanks Cackles, I have had a look through the sticky... They sound like a bigger challenge than Guinea Fowl, but I do love my Guineas. I am not set up for quail so I guess I will move them on when they hatch.

We have native quail down the back of our property and I occasionally come across them when im walking the dogs.. The native ones are quite nice, not sure how the survive we have a lot of foxes here as well.

GF

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:33 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

good timing guineafowl!
i have in a king suro 7 dozen & 11 quail eggs that are at day 15 today. i have a king suro hatcher, should i take 1/2 out and pop them in the hatcher?

Attachments:
uploadfromtaptalk1394278365495.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1394278365495.jpg [ 103.86 KiB | Viewed 4730 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:02 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Thats in interesting looking lot of eggs!

Nellyg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:50 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hi Grabby, Please excuse my ignorance but what type of quail do your eggs belong to. They look exactly like the eggs I have been given.

I went through them last night and I have put 30 out of 40 into the incubator.

I just have a normal, cheapy incubator but it hatches chicks and guineas great. So I am just treating the quail eggs the same and turning them twice a day, same temp and humidity as for chicks. Hopefully they will hatch...

Good luck with your hatch..

GF

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:17 am 
Wise One
Wise One

Because eggs given to you "spotty", & so many, I suspect they are Japanese Quail eggs....they lay heaps. If you weigh them they should average around 12 grams each. I hatched mine with Incubator settings set the same as for chickens, & they hatch @ around 17 - 18 days.

When they hatch they are like mini chickens, more active though I think. It is often recommended to feed a higher protein starter, something like game bird starter or Turkey starter. Jap quail chicks grow very quickly. If I only have chicken starter available @ the time, that is what I have used.

Preferably they should be housed on their own I think. They are much smaller than fowl chickens. Although I can't see day old fowl chicks intentionally doing harm (may peck a bit), their size alone may pose a problem if in with newly hatched quail. Could depend on age of quail chicks too. Week old quail chicks much more robust.

I kept mine on heat for a few weeks, depending on weather to some degree. They do need to be in fully enclosed & secure housing. Otherwise they will wander away, possibly taken by predator, or lost.

They are good fun, grow quickly, & lay well (if Japanese quail) from approx seven weeks of age, depending on season. Great source of eggs when other poultry not laying, & if inclined, good little meat birds too. Otherwise you can usually find a ready market for unwanted birds.

Good luck with the hatch.

Edited to add, Grabby' eggs look like Japanese Quail eggs to me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:21 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Those eggs look great! Remind me of the ones you see (and scoff) at Easter...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:44 am 
Great Game
Great Game

Guineafowl and Grabby - fingers crossed for good hatchings - I'm wanting lots of baby quail for two new good size runs, so have PM'd both of you about a possible bulk-buy-out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:47 am 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

hi PossumCorner. i got your pm. better late that never. we have been on a wood collecting mission - since the rain is coming next week(as if).

yes, japanese quail the eggs. they are adorable. i do not want to fall in love with them tiny fluffballs . . . . .

i did divide them into 2 lots for hatching and have 40 in each now. if they puff like popcorn (chickens) they will swell in size at hatch & i will keep pulling some out so figured do it first. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:13 am 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

first quail chick to hatch last night.

Attachments:
uploadfromtaptalk1394568766472.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1394568766472.jpg [ 27.34 KiB | Viewed 4649 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:08 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Thanks for posting the photos Grabby, Ive not seen baby quail before. They look like chickens only I imagine much much smaller.

Is it possible to candle the eggs??

GF

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:01 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

hey guineafowl,
yes i candled about 1/3 of the eggs and tried to get a few photos for my reference later but all that was really visible was the clears and the sliver of light if there was action inside.

i actually have a query on hatching days and the counting. this is something that i have always struggled with but usually the eggs were mine but this time they are not and i am a bit worried that they are not going to hatch any more quail chicks.

so i set these eggs on Saturday 22nd of Feb, at 10pm that night.
i have been thinking they were due Wednesday night; is this correct?
i am so hopeing that i have a glitch in my counting as out of 40 eggs transferred to 2 hatchers i have 8 & 5 respectively.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:52 am 
Wise One
Wise One

Excluding the 22nd, I calculate that they should have hatched around 11th or 12th March, ie, Tuesday or Wednesday hatch.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:12 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hmmm.. Im not sure Grabby. I am totally new to quail and have read differing incubating times. Some say 17 days others say longer.

Mine have been in for 6 days now, I opened the incubator the other day to turn the eggs and there was an awful smell in there. I found the culprit and disposed of it and all others are OK and the smell is gone, thank god.. I was going to try and candle them to see what was happening, the person that gave them too me said they were fertile and he has hatched some of them..

Guess i'll just have to wait and see if they hatch... Hmmm im not very good at waiting...

GF