Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - First guinea egg today!!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:45 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:57 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

:( Still waiting - but no eggs yet- lots & lots of noise but no eggs!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:48 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

hey crysalismum,
how old are your guineafowl?
as in are they older than a year?
grabby wrote:
i have had first year guineas lay; in the warmer weather but before December usually.
if their Mamma is a chook then they may lay in a box like her or anywhere else really.
:-)

i asked hoping they are younger but we have quite a few but are not getting many eggs as yet this year.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:30 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I have a mix of one and two year olds- the older ones laid last spring the younger this is their first spring so I'm so eager!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:41 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

My eggs are very few and far between also. Wish they would hurry up and get with the program...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:06 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

The penned babies have started to lay. One or two eggs every second day. Today - three eggs before mid-day: I think there are six females in the pen (and five males). So by the sound of this thread I should be more than happy, and not expecting six a day now or ever.

The eggs are smaller than I expected: do they become larger once the hens have been laying for a few weeks??

The broody Araucanas have been sitting too long to risk new eggs under them: I'll hold onto guinea eggs until a couple of Silkies or Pekins go broody.

Another question, not exactly on topic, but do Belgian d'Uccles make good broodies - I have four that seem to be thinking about it. But I'll pass on bantam Sussex next time: the one with three chicks has just ditched them at three weeks and started to lay again and hop on high perch to roost. Out come the hot water bottles again, bother.

Lavender hens, Pearl cockerels. What colour guinea-chicks would be expected?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:59 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Possum,

Once they start laying full on you will have an abundance supply of eggs. They will generally lay an egg every day. They are quite small and as hard as a rock. If you accidentally drop one on the ground they in most cases will bounce rather than break.

You will get a mixed hatch some lavender and some pearl out of the eggs.

Melbourne Cup Day is fast approaching and this is the time when mine really get serious about laying. I dont think the crazy weather at the moment is helping in the laying department. I'm getting 1 egg every second day out of 9 hens, so not enough to collect and incubate them just yet.

I've tried giving some eggs away for people to try but they dont go for them. I think they are beautiful to eat and a bit nicer than chook eggs.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:33 am 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

we have 4 keets out of the first 6 full size guinea eggs that were put in to fill the incubator when i ran a hatch for another person.

full size guineafowl eggs here are a teeny bit smaller on the big end than a golf ball and have more pointed end than a chook egg. they are also like cracking a golf ball. it is funny in the middle of summer when we are used to cracking guinea eggs for our eating eggs, then to go to a chook egg.
it can be quite messy. :-D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:34 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Ours are settling in now.
I sold a couple of hens and a cock and that upset the routine for a day or two but we are now getting 5 or 6 per day from 6 birds and I cant keep up to demand.
A 100 or so total for the month.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:49 am 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

hey lucky 992 have you set any eggs yet?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:31 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

3 eggs a day for the last 4 days. Things are on the up and up...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:33 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

grabby wrote:
hey lucky 992 have you set any eggs yet?

Yes we set 30 odd on the 28th October but these were our oldest eggs at the time. Its about time to candle them I guess.
I sold the freshest ones as I assume the early ones would not have the fertility of the latest ones?
Also set 21 under a Wyandotte hen. Time will tell.
I got a bit caught out in that I advertised some eggs and between us we took too many orders and had orders to fill. That is nearly complete now, so will set some more as there is another Australorp going broody. I would like a few more wandering around here anyhow.

We are getting 6 out of 6 most days now. Last year they laid right up to march so might have to sell a few more (eggs) yet,
How about yourself? Sounds like you have heaps of birds?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:12 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

we have lots of guineas but are only getting a dozenish eggs a day.

i wonder is a hawk big enough to take a full grown guineafowl? i was counting at food time a few days back and there are less than last time & i only sold 6 so far.

i have our first hatch of 4 guineas out of 6 put in to make up empty spaces when i hatched a while ago for someone. our second hatch is about finished except 1 popped out today while i was out so i will leave them in the incubator another couple of days.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:50 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

My friend had a hawk take full grown chooks (hylines, so about the size of a guinea) so I think it could have taken them.

NellyG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:27 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

@ Guineafowl
"i wonder is a hawk big enough to take a full grown guineafowl?"
I haven't seen a hawk take a full grown Guinea personally, however I have seen them take things they cant lift off the ground, eg a large rabbit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:20 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

We've had a hawk or some kind of larger bird of prey - but not a wedgetail eagle (it didn't have the tail) checking out our guineas a few weeks back. It was quite deliberately flying low over the flock, and didn't seem interested in any of the chook pens.

However, all my guinea losses over the last 12 months have been dog-related (and my dogs, too :( ).

I'm down to 2 girls and 4 boys now.

On the plus side, the girls are laying in spots where we can find the eggs, which astonishes me. I assumed that now they're free-ranging, I'd never see an egg again. But no! - we've been finding eggs in two locations over the last week!

AND I have 12 in the incubator, hopefully developing and hopefully going to hatch at roughly the same time as the Croad Langshan eggs also in there (24 eggs in an RCOM20; don't ask, but they ARE all turning ... ).

Due ... er, mid-next-week actually! Eeep! Better clean out the chick pen! (ie remove the current batch ... ).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next