Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - guinea fowl change in behaviour

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:08 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:03 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi , I purchased a pair of gfs about 12 weeks old this will be the first spring ,unfortunately the mail just turned up his toes about 6 weeks ago ...she was just calling constantly ,so I purchased a male about the same age asked the breeder to cut his wing , then penned him for a week she sat outside his cage ! finally I decided to let him out she was happy but after 3 days he just flew over into next door with his silkie bantams left her chanting come back come back he did lol ..........well breeder said he was raised with chickens so I bought 2 to keep him happy much better still flies over a bit .......but lately she is sitting on my door step looking in the glass but if open the door she runs ...they are free range so cant catch him to trim his wing more.......... as in town no foxes sleep in my peppercorn tree not happy if the possum passes by 2am chchch I guess what I need to know is her odd behaviour due to mating season

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:58 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Hi Cornichicken
welcome to Backyard Poultry :stretcher
im going to move your post to the Guinea fowl area, where it will be seen more by the relevant experts :-D

cheers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:19 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

thank you

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:50 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hi Cornichicken, It is or getting near breeding time for Guinea's, depending on your location.

Guinea's are most happiest in large groups, they do bond fairly closely together and they do get depressed if they loose one of their mates.

She is looking in the mirror at other mate. You could try putting a mirror outside in their pen or wherever it is that they hang out.

Are you sure the other one you got is a Male??

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:29 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi thank you yes he is def. a male and he is a little hen pecked I think !........... we are in central Victoria so weather getting warmer so thought it might be getting towards laying time .......... never thought of the fact that she was looking at her self in the glass lol..........he is a stunning looking bird she is a light lilac col. and a little scruffier .let everyone know how we go jules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:31 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Guineas are real individuals with lots of quirky behaviours. It would be best to stop the male going next door if you can. Here (rural WA) it is the owners responsibility to keep his livestock on his own property - no matter if it is sheep, cows or guinea fowl. So when my neighbours had enough of of my guineas visiting it was up to me to keep them on my property. I started by giving then wheat every afternoon at 4 and gradually got to feed them inside their pen. Once they were all (or most of them) in the pen i shut the door and got them used to it each night. The first night i had them all in I wing clipped and kept them in the pen full time for a couple of weeks to get used to sleeping in there and after that I shut them up every night. Once the wings were clipped short it was only occasionally one made it over the fence and I'd just go and retrieve it (easier said than done of course!). Good luck with them.

NellyG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:55 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks Nelly will try and get him in the pen he is pretty smart the breeder that sold him to me breeds show birds and he cut his wing but I think that in trying to keep him looking spiffy did not cut enough lol.......... next doors rooster and chooks wander out the front and used to pop through my fence till they got too big so he can not complain asked him to chase Arthur {male home to Martha fem} so that may deter him jules

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:11 am 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

did your guinea come back home cornichichen?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:24 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

yes thank you and the mirror that was suggested helped also ............. vain girl is Martha ! she is still a lot noisier than she was with her old mate Arthur 1 but Arthur 2 seems to be settling in I am hoping its just spring in the air lol and he knows what she wants ! thanks for your interest jules

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:31 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

i think her chatting is updating Arthur 2 on all that he missed while he was away from her.

i notice you are in central Victoria, same as me.
so we should both be getting guinea eggs soon.

:chickbounce :chickbounce :chickbounce

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:07 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

lol yes hope so the 2 chooks I bought to keep him happy are laying every day .............. Arthur is a hansom show bird she should be happy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:07 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi all up date on Arthur and Martha they seem to be lovers now lol ! she was blown out of her tree in the middle of the night and I think prob. woke up every one
She has laid 2 eggs just on the ground out in open so if I want her to bring out eggs what do I do from here leave them or collect and keep inside and what if they get wet ? could put a kennel type thing there but she may just move be thankful for any ones help julie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:06 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

i don't have my guineafowl hatch eggs. we have a lot of guineas but only 1 has been successful in hatching her eggs and she had her Mum a Rhode Island Red sit the whole way with her. they raised 1 chick & 1 guineafowl together.
it was lovely but so many have just walked away part way through or been attacked even though caged in with the eggs. foxes are very sneaky.

maybe 1 of your chooks could go clucky and hatch the eggs.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:36 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks Grabby. just had penny my chook bring out 6 chickens her mate big jen looked on so she may go clucky see how we go, how long can I save gf eggs before putting them under a chook jules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:29 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

My Guineas have never sat on eggs, they dont even stand still so getting them to sit on eggs would be impossible. I incubate all my eggs.

They should be viable up to 10 days but the fresher, the better. However if you get a broody and have eggs older than 10 days it cant hurt to put them under as well....you never know they may hatch... That is if you dont want to eat the eggs....they are really beautiful Guineas eggs.

Good luck hatching some little keets, they are very cute... and as fast as lightning, hence the reason we call them scooter chooks..