Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Japanese Quail - after a few years of ownership

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:17 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:47 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

No nothing special about the paint or preparation, however the paint did not stay on; it gradually came off. Maybe you need special rubber paint.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:45 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

CLEANING THE INSIDE OF THE WATER VESSEL:

Further to an earlier post, we found the implement required to clean the algae from the inside of the waterer. It's an algae-cleaning aquarium brush on a metal slightly bendable rod. Reaches every nook & cranny. With some hot water, a smidgeon of bleach, and the rod carefully manouevered to get the brush to each patch of algae, the inside of the container is "as new".

QUAVIARY MICE:

Not a new species of rodent, rather these are the mice that live in the quaviary given half a chance. They eat the feed for the birds. They eat the feathers of the adult birds (from the birds themselves). They eat the eggs - to be more accurate, they crack the eggs & eat some of the ones they've cracked. There must be a family of them in the aviary again, and my simple solutions follow.

- Live trap, which works particularly well for young mice. I can have no mice in there for weeks, or even months, then a new batch of mouselings will be apparent when I check the live trap & find several young mice in it in one night. Usually followed by another night or two capturing the remainder of the nest of little rodents. It is possible to put bait in the live trap, which would cause them to die in there & as they can't get out again there would be no bait risk to the quail... but I don't like poisons. I usually give captured mice their "freedom" outside the aviary. What happens to them after that is nature taking its course.

- Chooks, who are excellent at capturing adult mice the moment they show themselves to my beaked raptors. Today, on spotting an almost fully grown mouse underneath the quail feeder, I have put our two d'Anvers into the aviary. They are small enough to not cause the quail to change their behaviour one iota, but large enough to eat adult mice. We used to have a d'Uccle, who was adept at catching (and eating) adult mice, and at stealing them from larger chooks given the opportunity. We haven't witnessed either of the d'Anvers do the same, however there haven't been enough mice around since we've had the d'Anvers to know if they're mouse-hunters. Their jaunt in the aviary today (and I may leave them in overnight & tomorrow) is a new method, and I hope they enjoy a good hunt.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:05 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Spring Update...

FEED FOR CHICKS:
Discovered a new chick starter feed recently, courtesy of another setting of eggs that I didn't bother to keep track of... coming home to a chick staring at me from the incubator meant tracking down anywhere that was open & sold appropriate feed ! It's called "Peckish" Game Bird Starter & they seem to be doing alright on it so far. Was available at the local pet shop in a small 3.5kg bag, which is more suited to the smaller batches I prefer to do. I note that Peckish also do a quail grower / meat finisher feed, and if the same local pet shop would stock that, it would suit me to switch them to it at the appropriate age... alas they do not. **sigh**

BROODER BEDDING:
Also using different bedding in the brooder... Proteq... which I'm falling in love with. MUCH cleaner than anything I've used before. I've even taken to putting the water container directly on the 'ground' (the bedding) as they don't get much of it into the moat. Makes for a far easier set up than other things I've used. I've taken to tipping out the moat of water onto the bedding each day & using a metal cat litter scoop to turn the wetted areas / incorporate it in the bedding in general.

BROODER BULB:
Changed the brooder bulb to a purple day/night reptile one... which I'm finding really good. There's a great deal less in the brooder using this bulb & the Proteq... no need for a space for them to get away from light, no need for something for the waterer to sit on... it gives them more 'running' space for now. Once they're in the unheated pen I'll have a greater variety of things for them to entertain themselves with, climb on & under, and generally explore.

QUAVIARY:
The quaviary hasn't been cleaned out since I did the big cleanout mentioned earlier in this thread... and the quail have made a mess of the dustbath (sand in the tyre) but still use it regularly. The plants under the laundry basket were not a goer... nothing grows there. I never painted the tyres, and the quail still happily stand on the boiling hot rubber in summer to watch the world go by outside their enclosure. I never discovered if the d'Anvers are mouse (or mice) hunters... as there haven't been signs of mice for a while... I'm sure they're about due to turn up again though. The quail still lay happily inside the plant pot, or in the corner of the corflute right next to the plant pot, or sometimes in another corner behind their dustbathing tyre. Usually more than one lays in each spot... that is, there isn't a lone layer using any one spot.. but rather a pooled effort at laying in clusters.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:03 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thank you for this enormously useful and informative thread, Winglet. Mrs Uzura and I have been raising quails for about 12 months now, with reasonable success. The information on feeding is useful, particularly with regard to protein content. We have stuck to about 22% but now I feel we can be less obsessive about that.