Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Using Guineafowl with a Maremma?? Advice please.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:43 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:36 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I have heard Guineafowl are great at setting off the alarm etc. when a predator is around.
Just wondering whether people think they may work well along with a maremma (once they are used to each other of course) as a sort of early warning system.
I was thinking if the maremma was way over one side of the paddock and a fox was the other if the Guineas saw it before the dog and made a racket it might help alert the dog to the threat quickly.

I don't really know if this would work in actual practice its just an idea I had.

What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:53 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

What, use guineas to keep a marema under control.....mmmm... yeh.... I reckon that would work :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Just kidding..... kind of...

We have a 7 month old Blue healer pup. Recently I heard the Guineas going off, then, a few seconds later the pup bolted. When I walked to were I could see what was happening, I could see 14 guineas and the pup chasing a stray dog up the road flat out! So in my experience, yes, they would definitely feed off each other.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:58 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Yes we have Maremmas and guineas together. Seems to work fine. I don't know about one alerting the other though, foxes are about at night & the guineas are perched up a tall tree at that time!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:15 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

last spring a group of guineas alerted our dogs to a snake on the verandah.

they also let the dogs know when someone arrives(that they are not used to), expected or otherwise.

but like andrewschooks said foxes are worst at night. though as a light sleeper they have alerted me in the night when a fox was in the house yard & i sent it on its way.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:33 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

When I had guineas they alerted me at night over lots of things! most of them perfectly normal and reasonable things. But they do alert over snakes and dogs and foxes too (and cats and goannas and birds and people and kids and.....). You just have to sort out which alerts are something THEY find alarming and which are things YOU find alarming!

NellyG

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:50 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

OK thanks you all for that,

I have some wedge tailed eagles and hawks about too so I was also sort of wondering if they might help alert the chooks with their loud alarm call so any free ranging chook can make for cover.

Certainly makes sense that they might not be much use during the night when foxes are usually active.
My understanding is that Maremma's patrol well at night so that should be OK :dog :pooma

hmmm truth be known I wouldn't mind getting some Guinea's just for fun anyway :whist

If they help out during the day then that's an added bonus, are they fine with chooks and younger growers?

They aren't aggressive towards chooks are they?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:47 am 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Mine weren't at all. They got on reasonably well though distantly.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:34 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

@ Barnz G.
"I have some wedge tailed eagles and hawks about too so I was also sort of wondering if they might help alert the chooks with their loud alarm call so any free ranging chook can make for cover.

Certainly makes sense that they might not be much use during the night when foxes are usually active."

Yes they are great with birds of prey. We have hawks eagles etc. Its funny how they know the difference between them and the black cockatoos or wattlebirds etc.
Free range chooks are nearly as good as the guineas here for spotting birds of prey, especially if they are mother reared on the property.
We learnt a long time ago that incubator reared chicks are the first to be taken by eagles.

Mine do alarm at night but obviously only to things they can see from their coop. Of course you need to be within earshot. If you housed them outside your bedroom window I reckon they would keep you awake all night sometimes.
Mine hassled a new rooster for a while but it settled down with time.
A funny thing mine do is follow blue tongue lizards. They form a semi circle and follow them through the grass.
They don't alarm though and they are not aggressive toward them. Must be just a curiosity thing.
The blue tongues are not the slightest bit intimidated by the guineas.
If its a snake they circle it completely and keep it occupied so you have time to get organised to sort it out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:32 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

OK Thanks,

All of my birds are incubator reared at the moment, they will be put out to free range and finish growing once they are old enough, they will have a maremma in the paddock with them.

The Maremma should be good to keep the foxes away and hopefully a deterrent against birds of prey, but birds of prey are still a bit of a worry.

I might get a small flock of Guinea's and see how they go.

Anyone know anyone with any available?
Do they come in different colours/patterns?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:34 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Barnz, Guinea's are great birds and they are really funny creatures to watch. They have very quirky ways and they scoot around all day at 1000 miles an hour. They never stop running, hence why we refer to them as 'scooter chooks'.

They do make a hell of a racket if something is out of place, and that can be as simple as a branch or stick on the ground... They do alert you to stray dogs, snakes, foxes, kangaroos. Mine chased a big grey roo through the paddock the other day, screaming at it, they ganged up on it and chased it until it was out of sight...

In my opinion it is best to get them when they are young keets, and they are very trainable although they still have a wild side and dont like to be touched and certainly dont like to be picked up. They are very strong birds to try and hold to do anything with them. Worming them is certainly a long process... You have to lock them up for a few weeks, longer if possible... The longer the better so they get used to their home and then when they free range they will always come home at night to roost.

I have raised mine with the chooks and trained them to lay their eggs in the nest boxes so that way I dont have broody Guineas out in the paddock that become fox food. Also they will venture far and wide to find the perfect spot to lay their eggs and you are forever looking for their nest. I dont have time to do that so laying in the nest with the chooks is perfect for me.

The main colors around are Pearl and Lavender, but you can also get Cinnamon although these seem to be hard to find.

They are seasonal layers and mine lay from about October through March/April. Depends though on where you live, some people in Vic have been getting eggs for a few weeks now... I'm still waiting.

If you get some fertile eggs and hatch some with some chooks they will all get along fine.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:57 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

i sell guineafowl through Spring & Summer as watchbirds. they are becoming popular with people for pest control also.

i don't think you will regret getting some Barnz G.
below: not quite a maremma working with the guineas. :-)

Attachments:
uploadfromtaptalk1410526557320.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1410526557320.jpg [ 48.98 KiB | Viewed 5661 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:03 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Grabby do you have any fertile eggs you would be prepared to sell?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:59 am 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

i have only had 3 eggs so far Barnz G but in the middle of laying season (read Summer) and my incubators are all overloaded i have heaps to sell.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:15 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

OK cool, thanks Grabby LMK when you have some available (if you remember) and we will figure something out. :thumbs: