Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Guinea Fowl and coccidiosis

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:03 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:48 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi everyone :-) , I'm new to guineas (although I've had chickens previously) and new to the forum, did a search on my topic, but nothing specific came up.

I am picking up some young keets in a few weeks time, I've done lots of research and have my brooder set up with a ceramic heat lamp, wood shavings and food and water containers so I'm ready to go. However I've bought game bird starter and notice that it doesn't contain a coccidiostat, is this a problem or are guineas less susceptible? I know the importance of keeping their environment clean and dry and we are on a new property that hasn't had any poultry on it previously so I'm hoping they won't get it, but would it be preferable to put something in their water like they say on the bag?

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:48 am 
Wise One
Wise One

Coccidiosis seems to become problematic when conditions are right, & more so in some strains & species. Guineas are from what I read pretty tough, but breeders do seem have their share of health issues. I had some keets one season develop what I thought was coccidiosis & they did respond to treatment. They would have been fed chick starter crumbles with coccidiostat included.

Medicated Turkey Starter has been recommended for starting keets until approx six weeks of age. Others I have read don’t like to use medicated feed for them, & Game Bird Starter has be used. You could try them with the Game Bird Starter & monitor for any signs of coccidiosis, treating appropriately if the problem arises. Game Bird Starter would have a higher protein content than Chick Starter from memeory, & this is usually recommended for Guineas.

Good luck with your young keets.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:47 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thank you rollyard, much appreciated :th

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:22 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Slightly related to this question, can you raise guineas and chicks together, just feeding both the medicated turkey starter? Or unmedicated gamebird starter and medicating in the water if an issue looks to arise?

I do often use unmedicated chick feed and just medicate in the water if need be, so I'm familiar with the requirements of that. But I don't know if being raised with chicks could make keets more susceptible to a cocci outbreak.