Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Incubating and raising keets and chicks together - feasible?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:28 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:33 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I did do a search but, oddly, didn't find an answer to this question.

I'm getting 13 fertile guinea eggs tomorrow. I don't have any spare broodies currently and I have an RCOM20 just sitting there, empty and sad. (awww).

I don't like to run it half-empty, so I figure to fill the gaps with chicken eggs.

Guineas are 28 days, chooks 21, and apparently use the same temp and humidity settings, and stop turning three days before hatching.

If the RCOM doesn't have a guinea setting, I can easily set the requirements manually.

If I add chook eggs to fill the gaps a week after setting the guineas, and then raise all the results together in the usual brooder with ceramic heat lamp, a high-protein grower (either medicated turkey or unmedicated gamebird, and manually medicate with Amprolium in the water as need be), and the usual straw, am I setting myself up for success or disaster?

If I need something to deal with the gaps for that extra week, I don't mind adding unfertilised chook eggs, just to be a heat sink, and discard them when I put in the fertile eggs.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:04 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Yes both the same settings.
We have done both here one batch after the other, but not at the same time, but we are about to a batch of both at the same time as well.
Following recommendations from here we have purchased an electric chook to deal with the bigger numbers. Also setting up a big fridge type brooder for the same reason.
Cant see any problems.
I'm considering doing duck eggs at the same time, slightly staggered to be able to increase the humidity enough at hatching, but we have never done duck eggs before.
Good luck with it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:47 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Yes they are fine together, but guineas seem to hatch at about day 25 for me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:32 pm 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

we hatch both together. if i had thought about it before now, i would actually like the guineas to hatch a day or 2 before the chicks(like andrewschooks) so that they have time to get a bit of stamina, since they are smaller than chicks.

we hatch quite a few keets each year. we use medicated starter for keets, as by the time you notice their little wings are dropped down it is hard to medicate them back to health.
they seem to just drop dead.

others will have differing opinions about the medicated starter.

the only issue i have had with raising chicks and keets together is; once grown a couple of roosters mated guineas and it has killed some. one i actually saw the act and held my half grown guinea as she passed away. that was a sad day.
the rooster doesn't grow out of that behaviour and i have had to send some beautiful lads off because of it. in my experience it doesn't happen with the male guineas to hens though.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:16 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

The chooks and guineas won't necessarily run together when grown - the guineas will hopefully join the existing guinea flock (I'm hoping to improve the female:male proportion from 2:5 ... ).

Also, I'm mostly likely to be eating any male roosters once they declare themselves male :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:52 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I have hatched them together just as you describe twice now- adding the chook eggs later - & they hatched and brooded together just fine. I put the guineas back in the guinea pen and they have taken a LONG time to join in- still sit by themselves in a group and eat 2nd etc. I think it might just be hard to add guineas in (I had 4 originally 3 girls & added a make with no problem, then added 8 younger ones (safety in numbers was my plan!- 2 were killed & the older ones picked on them terribly, then this next group was 3- so i don't have much experience)