Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Quail Breeders

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:47 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Quail Breeders
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:56 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Quail eggs, due to their small size, do lose moisture very quickly in comparison to chook eggs. If they had 10 days from laying to getting to you, then I'd say you're spot on. If you're setting your own eggs in the future, keeping them from drying out is as simple as storing them (dry) in a zip lock bag or a plastic container (eg. Décor) whilst you're getting a batch together to set.

I usually have the humidity about 5 to 10 percentage points higher for Japanese quail than I do for chook eggs... an actual measurement that works for you is entirely down to where you live.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:01 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks Winglet. You're sure right about quail eggs drying out quick! I have a few of my own eggs that I had collected sitting in a ziplock bag (I'd seen that suggestion before). I weighed them fresh and then again at six days (ready for setting). There was already a huge weight loss - even when stored that way.

I think I'll have to make an egg storing humidor!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:30 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hello Stephie,

I've been away from the forums (fora?) for a while and just dropped in today and saw this thread... I could probably collect some eggs for you after Christmas if you want to hatch some more chicks - I'm in South Perth and I have a few Japanese Quail - I brought them over from SA when I moved here last year, and some of them come from eggs I got from Qld and Vic I think, as well as SA... I'd offer you what I have at the moment but my current collection is in the fridge and will be boiled up for Christmas day lol! Where are you located?

Cheers!
Catherine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:11 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi Catherine,

Thanks very much for the offer. I did order some more eggs, this time from SA but nothing has come yet. I guess they are having a break for Christmas. Probably not the best time of year anyway.

If I don't hear from them in the new year I'd love to get some from you. I'm in Bickley near Kalamunda.

Have a good Christmas, I'm sure those quail eggs will be delicious!!

Regards,
Steph