Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Albino guinea fowl

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:45 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Albino guinea fowl
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:39 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Last year I hatched 3 Albino looking keets from some eggs I was getting weekly but unfortunately they all died after a week in the brooder. They all had red eyes, very thin fur almost down to the very pink skin. Can anyone tell me what colour these would have been? Red eyed silver perhaps?

I haven't hatched silvers but some are due soon from another lot I have so it will be interesting to see what they look like at hatch.

Post subject: Re: Albino guinea fowl
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:44 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

You didnt happen to take any photos of them DJ??

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:49 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

No I didn't unfortunately but I wish I had and it's been on my mind ever since as to what they were.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:00 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Drats... It will be interesting to see your silvers when they hatch...

The silver and cinnamon are quite hard to find, good luck with your hatch. We will be waiting to see the photos..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:48 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hopefully I should get a good mixture and hopefully some different colours from all these :) And yes all those are turned TWICE a day, by hand & one at a time! I keep telling myself it's worth it but it's getting to be quite the tedious task. The thermostat blew on my main Incubator so I've had to use the hatcher but as you can see no turning system.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:54 am 
Wise One
Wise One

What colour were the parents of the Guinea eggs?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:05 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Standard Pearl, Pearl Pied & Lavandar. Nothing rare but 1 or 2 of his breeding birds must have been carrying an unusual gene

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:55 am 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

i think they were silver & am hoping you get some more this hatch.

good job turning them all by hand twice a day DJ1983.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:45 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Well done DJ, that certainly is dedication..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:32 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

First 2 pictures below are of my pair of Red-eyed Silvers (getting an egg a day now) And the rest are of my Red-Eyed Cinnamons which have also started to get a move on with 2-3 eggs a day now. Not the best quality Cinnamons I am trying to breed the white & grey out to get full coloured Cinnamons. Hopefully within 3 years I'll be there. The Grey Pearl/Pied fella in the background is a split, he shouldn't really be in there as the keets may throw back to standard grey I'm taking him out today to put with the other flock of standard greys and lavandars.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:26 am 
Wise One
Wise One

DJ1983 wrote:
They all had red eyes, very thin fur almost down to the very pink skin.

I made a comment here once that I had observed in one of the very first Cinnamon keets I bred that it appeared to have relatively short down (almost like velvet) when compared to the pearl & lavender keets. I don't recall how consistently this occurred, but it was a feature of @ least some cinnamon & silver keets.

Your comment about the pearl in background being "split" for something suggests for me that it could have either (or both) of the two major mutations here in Oz, ie, recessive lavender or cinnamon. If cinnamon then some of your lavenders possibly too?

If some of your lavender Guineas have recessive cinnamon factor then any chance mating between two or more like birds within a particular mixed flock could have produced some very light silvery-grey-caramel downed (depending on light in part) red eyed keets. That would make them silver, if the three were in fact silver keets?

If the three red-eyed keets were silver, & birds other then lavender produced them, eg, pearl greys, or lavender x pearl grey, it could have been just as likely, or more likely in some instances, for cinnamon keets to have been produced.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:15 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hey Rolly

The 3 that hatched last year were'nt from any of the ones in the pics. He still has the Guineas I will see if I can get some more eggs off him. You mentioned velvet like fur, that's exactly how it was, extremely short almost bare skin. They were very fragile and weak also.

The grey pied in the background, I bought him with another standard grey female as a pair. I found that their offspring produced a small amount of cinnamons. I am assuming it was him that had the recessive gene as I'm not sure if you have noticed, but I have found they have slightly different feathering if they are splits. (Splits is just my wording for them) Only reason he was in with the other cinnamons was to get more but I put him in with my other mixed flock a couple of days ago.

The parent birds of the 3 I mentioned above are a small flock of around 13. Colours are Lav, Grey & Grey/Pied. Were deffinately no straight Cinnamons or Silvers amongst them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:27 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

I too found the Cinnamon/Silver to be quite fragile post hatching. If you can get them to approx three weeks of age their vigour seems to improve & they should be ok.

The grey pied male & the standard grey female that you purchased as a pair would both have the autosomal recessive cinnamon mutation. It requires two doses, one from the father & one from the mother for full effect to be seen. Approx one in four keets bred from such a pair could be cinnamon. I never noticed any difference between birds split for cinnamon & those without it. Perhaps you have picked up on something that I missed?

If the three keets you produced were silver, I suspect that they may have come from lavender birds each with a dose of cinnamon hidden, but that doesn't have to be the case. Would be interesting to know if the person you received the eggs from has, or has had cinnamon birds?

There should be quite a few pearl & lavender birds with cinnamon getting around, in some areas at least. I know I produced lots & spread them around.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:12 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

In regards to the colour of the grey splits. I have notices that towards the lower back and down around the tail area, the pearling has somewhat of a blurry appearance with a slight lighter greay colouring. I have noticed this with a couple of them. May just be a coincidence but I have noticed it.

I am pretty sure he had never had Cinnamons in the lot he bought from which I got the eggs but I will ask him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:39 pm 

hi folks
Has anyone really really really seen white guinea fowl in Australia?? An honest reply please! Photos would be great!
Apparently one breeder has many different colours including white, cream, blues etc.. Photos of these too would be excellent.
Regards Russell