Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - My first lot of keets, Help

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:25 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:15 am 

Hello all, I have just been given 3 guinea fowl babies, 3 days old, have no broody chook, I have them in a small enclosed rabbit hutch and feeding turkey starter, so far so good. Have had them 1 day. I have put them in a box in the laundry for the night, even though we live in Queensland, just to keep them that bit warmer and in morning will put them back out in the hutch. I have never had them before, so all the help I can get is much appreciated. Regards Diane

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:42 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

At that age I would still have them under a heat lamp in a brooder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:10 am 

thanks Green Grass, I cant get a heat lamp at this stage, but so far are doing well, I bring in at dusk into laundry and out again in morning into hutch, seem to be settling well.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:30 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

You don't need a specific 'heat lamp', especially for only a small number of birds. A 40 watt incandescent globe in a hanging or clip on light holder is adequate. My preference is for a blue party globe (Masters sells them) The blue light will not keep them awake and is not bright on their eyes (like clear/pearl globes) Rig something up so that there is a cosy area under the light and somewhere cooler to eat & play.

Last edited by sue55 on Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:56 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Yes I think they need more heat at that age. Get a lamp with an incandescent globe and that will give them enough warmth. If they are too cold they wont thrive and are more prone to illness.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:36 am 

The keets are going really well, I didn't get a heat lamp but brought them in on dusk in small carrier with towel over the top, in the morning would let out into there hutch...... They are now over 3 weeks old and doing well, I have started leaving them out at night in the hutch,2 nights ago,so far all is well. Will be putting them into a small aviary that I have and there they will stay until they know that is there home. they are funny little birds but really love them. thank you guys ...Diane

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:44 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

You are lucky you didn't lose them, newly hatched chicks can't regulate their body temperature so they would have struggled. They are tiny so lose heat very quickly. If the weather had been a bit on the cooler side even if only for a couple of hours in the early AM you would have lost them. A regular desk lamp with a 40 watt globe up one end of a box is simple, very cheap and very effective. I've seen it time and time again where people buy chicks from markets or wherever and just put them in a box and think that's all that you need. Had a lady who 's kids bought some keets from a market stall (why someone would sell any live animal to children alone is beyond me) the first night 2 died and the third was not looking great when she gave it to me. Within a couple of hours it had warmed up and was looking much better. It survived to adult hood. Not trying to be negative but just be aware you will definitely have losses doing this sooner or later, so just get yourself a clip on desk lamp, they are cheap as chips and will save losses.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:44 am 

hello proud rooster.i will take on board about the lamp for the next time?? I live Sunshine Coast and was warm,especially in my laundry at night.
Update now, I put the keets into a aviary about 3 weeks ago, they had small inclosure to eat grass and look about.They have become quite tame and always come when I call them, looking for food and they love spinach leaves. I let them out yesterday for the first time and was wonderful to observe them, they hung around there house and ventured alittle bit. I will always put them away at night and they came a running when called last night. So I think I have been lucky with these ones. I have three so hopefully will get some more later this year. Thanks again for the advise.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:43 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

You done good Gooselands. I have a few heatlamps for brooders, but have just bought some silkie chicks through from day-old to 3 weeks without heat, so far so good. It is absolutely too hot here day and night at the moment to have a lamp on them, bigger problem is keeping from being too hot but without being in a draught. BYP advice is generally to not raise chicks in summer, excellent advice but couldn't resist these.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:07 am 

Junior Champion Bird, thank you and yes I did do good, but think I was just very lucky. I could only take the chicks December, so next time I get some more will aim for cooler months, and get a lamp.

cheers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:22 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

A cold brooder is another option.