Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Golden Pheasants

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:47 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Golden Pheasants
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:25 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

After my first disaster with Golden Pheasants I was a bit dubious at trying again. But yesterday picked up 4 chicks that are 12 weeks old. It looks like 2 pairs by the eye colours :pray . They can from 2.Separate pairs that were housed in small avairies. I asked if the cocks were ever really aggressive to the hens like mine old one was and he said no, just normal male dominance so :pray that this time I will have luck.

Post subject: Re: Golden Pheasants
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:31 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I had the same problem with my male few years back.
I had a female seating on the nest and when she got up he killed her. Right now I have some new males, only I noticed with my young Lady Amherst a bit of aggression ,but nothing to worry about.
I wish you a good luck with your new pheasants.
Would be great if you post some pics of them.

Regards, Goran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:54 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Haven't taken any photos yet as young and drab at the moment, all are in one avairy. Have noticed that they are sleeping in two separate pairs. Maybe one night will grab one pair out and move them to another avairy, I don't know if they form pair bonds early on.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:14 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Looks like one cock and 3 females , what are female pheasant called, still pullets and hens :think: . The cock is starting to get some orange colour to he's head now. Will try and run as quad, see what happens, hopefully as growing together will stay friends.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:57 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

It's confirmed, one cock and three hens, so a quad. Have moved them now into my large planted finch aviary, have read that they ignore finchs and parrots and after watching them for three days now i would say yes, no aggression to the other birds. Even to two spare cock king quail are ignored. Oh how much more relaxed and calm they are now in the planted aviary, where they were before constantly prancing back and forth along the wire. This aviary that they were in now has a trio of silkies. Just have sold a heap of parrots from enougher large aviary and this will be converted into a new planted finch aviary, will be like a more dry open scrub type planting and will house one pair of princess parrots, one pair of normal scarlet chested parrots, diamond finchs, painted finchs, gouldian finchs and plum head finchs, plus a pair of california quail . Size is 5m by 4m. The aviary that the pheasants are in now is 4m square.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:21 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

That all sounds great, can you tell me a bit more about keeping Gouldians and Californian Quails together, I have Gouldians in a 3m long * 1.2m wide * 2.4m tall aviary. I would like to put a pair of Californian Quails in there if its doable. Have you done it or heard of anybody doing it, does it need to be planted a particular way or any special needs?
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:30 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

They seem to get along fine , but the california quail perch alot and seem to run along the brush i have on the back wall for my other finchs to breed in preventing them from building nests, i have been thinking of moving them to enougher avairy. Your other post had me thinking of putting them with the pheasants. The Golden pheasants haven't touched the 2 spare male king quail in with them. Of course the king quail will have to be removed if i put the california quail in that avairy. I will probably then put my pair of king quail in the finch avairy. I have a mate who also tried the california quail in hes finch aviaries but removed them for the same reason, disturbing the nest building finchs from building nests or running over the nests and flattening them :roll: . I wonder whether clipping their wings would keep them more on the ground . I have planted tall grasses like poa in the avairy i would think that the california quail would nest in them. I might clip their wings this weekend and see what happens. :think: