Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - what to feed my quail

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: what to feed my quail
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:23 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I have 22 jumbo quail currently around 3 weeks old . I have been feeding them a decent game bird starter and freeze dried meal worms but am wondering is it benificial to add some greenery at all ? i was thinking something like shredded cabbage ? i heard not to feed them lettuce as it can go through them and contains little nutrients

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:54 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Some greenery for them to eat would be beneficial. Don't overdo it though as you don't want them to fill up on that & not eat the starter feed. Think of the size of their stomach versus what quantity of greenpick you're giving them. You don't want to give them much... say 10% of their stomach size each (ish). You could increase that from time to time once they're adults (at about 6 weeks of age) but I'd still limit it to no more than about 20% of their total feed intake if you're doing it every day.

I usually start giving greenpick to young Japanese quail at just a few days old (if that), but cut (with scissors) into tiny pieces. Something like 1mm square. Then I only give one or two pieces each to them on day 1, and over the course of a few days I gradually increase the number they each get. I usually give fresh grass, as it's very fresh (I pick it myself). Or fresh dandelion leaves (again, picked myself) if they're growing at the time, as they are particularly nutritious with lots of vitamins in them.

I don't know that I'd give them cabbage... someone else might know if that's as beneficial as other greenpick and/or if cabbage might be detrimental.

Every few days I leave a bunch of grass blades under a brick for them to pick at, even when they're young. When they are strong enough, they get great exercise from yanking pieces off to eat. If they can't pull pieces off, I take it out after half an hour or so & try again another day. Once they can pick bits off by themselves I no longer cut pieces up for them, instead allowing them some enrichment by attacking it themselves. As well as being something to keep them occupied (and to entertain me), they build muscle & strengthen bones doing that.

Once they're adults, I throw in a large bunch of long grass blades every now & then.... I find that mine don't fill up on that over their usual feed once they're older.

I'd cut the meal worms out except as a treat every few days. It's VERY high in protein & also one of their favourite foods, so they will tend to fill up on those & not eat the starter feed. When fed as a treat, I'd limit to no more than 1 per quail. If you were only feeding, say, fortnightly then maybe 2 per quail. Trying to ensure every one of your 22 quail only get their quota may mean that's a bit tricky... but if you're prepared to handfeed them, knock yourself out. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:20 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Even fresh grass, silver beet, some would enjoy celery, all other vegetables and fruits, but avocado.
Avocado is poisonous for the birds.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:00 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

cheers guys. ill cut back on the meal worms for them . i might try them on a bit of apple now and then and see if they go for it . I didn't take into account there stomach size and them filling up on low protein foods . guess i want to give them abit of variety but not sacrifice any growing out potential . Little guys are doing well and gaining size quick

regards
Matt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:55 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

gretasouthchookies wrote:
cheers guys. ill cut back on the meal worms for them . i might try them on a bit of apple now and then and see if they go for it . I didn't take into account there stomach size and them filling up on low protein foods . guess i want to give them abit of variety but not sacrifice any growing out potential . Little guys are doing well and gaining size quick

regards
Matt

They're great birds.. and grow almost in front of you ! :)