Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Golden pheasants with California Quails

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:56 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:06 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Anybody ever kept Golden pheasants with Californian Quail.
I have tried Bob Whites with the Golden Pheasants and the Bob White cock harassed the Golden Pheasants, so had
to separate them. :aaargh:
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:50 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Me too have been wondering that same question, would love to know :think: .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:11 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I had them with Lady Amhersts and i had to separate them.
The same reason, pheasants harassed by the c. Quails, constantly chased around the avary, couldn't get to the ground to eat or drink.
Quails ended up in the other avary.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:40 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Amazing :shock: , that the quails are actually dominating the pheasants, you wouldn't pick it. Well I will trim the flights on one wing each on the weekend on my California quail to see if this stops them disturbing the finchs nesting in the brush. They have shown no animosity towards the finchs or parrots so far. Will.monitor but.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:11 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I only have Gouldian finches with finch nest boxes, so no problem there. My other question is towards the mixed species diet, would the Californian Quails eat to much finch mix and lower their chances of breeding well.
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:37 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Once they matured thats all mine get, finch mix as they fly up and eat out of the seed tray. Mine seemed to ignore the showbird micro pellets. They were raised on starter crumbles just like the chickens. I dont know much about their diet and there doesn't seem to be much info on correct diet. As far as I'm aware they are seed eaters , do you feed yours something else, game bird pellets perhaps :hmmm: mine are in top condition and feather so thought they must be doing ok on the seed mix. They also share the seeding grass, bok choi, silverbeet, endive etc that is given to the other birds. Would they eat egg and biscuit mix.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:15 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

In my (limited) experience Callie Quail will be clumsy and disturb the finch nests but not show any animosity towards them -they just treat them as speed bumps in their way! I had a breeding pair of Scarlet Chested parrots in with a pair of Callies and they got on fine together.

Where I have had problems is mixing the Callies with any other bird that inhabits the same spaces in the aviary. i.e. ground dwelling and perching. I put a pair of Callies into a large flight aviary with a pair of bleeding heart doves and numerous parrots. The Callies attacked the bleeding heart doves and actually pulled feathers from the male's head before I rescued him! The Callies have remained happily sharing the aviary with the parrots.

They don't mix well with other types of quail either.

Californian Quail absolutely love mealworms! I have always raised chicks on Gamebird starter but once they are adults they happily eat seed (and mealworms) and seem to prefer that to pellets.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:56 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I have not had Californian quail before, I have wanted them for a few years now and assumed they needed to be fed something
like showbird breeder or game bird breeder. There is a pair for sale within a short distance from where I live, it's sounds like from the above replies, that they should without to much drama or extra diet requirements happily co-exist with my Gouldians.
Thanks again :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:19 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Yes swayne, they should be fine with the gouldians, when mine perch next to the goudians they ignore them and even when the finchs are on the ground dont seem to bother them. Maybe the position of the gouldian s next boxes needs some thought as to prevent the quail from jumping on them and knocking them down. I have 1 pr and a spare cock california quail hatched from eggs in bator, was 4 but 1 died on the first day. You need a real secure brooder box but mine got out at 5 weeks old and were a bugger to catch in the garage, had a mesh cover on top of brooder but they managed to knock it off. :roll: .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:41 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Calliequail what birds do you have, i have a few :roll:
2 pr palehead rosella
1 pr eastern rosellas - normal hen/black, cock is cinnamon /red/lutino
1 pr eastern rosellas - cock rubino, hen red
1 pr kings
1 pr crimson wings
1 pr princess - cock blue hen normal
1 pr western rosellas
1pr Galahs, breed every yr
1 pr moustache parrots
1 pr elegants
1 pr scarlet chested parrots - normal
1 pr scarlet chested parrots white fronted blue
1 pr turquoisine parrots- 100% normal, hard to get.
2 pr hooded parrots
1 pr indian ringneck s- cock indigo blue, hen violet cobalt blue
1pr indian ringneck s- cock indigo cobalt blue, hen indigo violet blue.
1 pr sun conures
1 pr red fronted kakariki, cock black eyed clear , hen pied.
Masked lovebirds in normal,jade,olive,pastel violet blue,cobalt blue,double factor violet blue
Peachface 3 off
Budgies about 20
Diamond doves in normal and silver
1 male eclectus
1 male major Mitchell cocky
Goudians in normal and white breasted,
Pr parson finchs
2 pr plum head finchs
Double bar finchs
Red brow finchs
Soon to add diamond finchs. .

So do have some birds :thumbs: .

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:30 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

In years gone by I have tried Callies with finches in a planted aviary, with the same results as already reported, although they didn't show any aggression towards the finches the disrupted their breeding by perching & roosting in their nesting areas.
I have also tried them in with unplanted Gouldian flights. If there is room they will try to roost on top of the nest boxes with the same results as a planted aviary.
In both cases I gave up and ran them in parrot flights, this worked OK.

Re running them with Golden Pheasants, I think this would be courting disaster once the golden breeding season hits - I suspect that the Callies may have a short life span if the Golden cock takes a dislike to them....

They will live and breed well on a finch mix, with a little extra protein added - as already pointed out mealworms will do this job well.
Many Callie hens will not incubate their eggs though, so be prepared to use an incubator.
Grass tussocks & private nesting spots in their aviary may help encourage natural incubation though. I had one cock who decided to set once, he hatched a few & left the nest before the entire clutch was hatched, but other than that did a good job. The rest of the hatch was finished in a an incubator & we ended up with something like 14 or 15 young from that clutch.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:29 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks for sharing your experience blucalypt.
Now i'm thinking of sneaking in a new enclosure, just have to wait for the wife to go out for the day.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:09 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

:rofl: :rofl: , i know this feeling, at least we have a harmless addiction :whist .looks like i will have to move the callies to a parrot flight, oh well then i move the king quail into the planted avairy :thumbs: .thanks blucalypt, on your experience to know what to do.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:22 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

haha, yep its a good old harmless addiction.
I finally picked up a pair today, the lady I got them from was nice and helpful.
Thanks also to mycoola and Calliequail for your input on keeping this interesting bird.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:45 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

So far i have found that they are timid especially when you enter the avairy, their ability to fly around the avairy and perch like non ground species. I love their calls too, look forward to breeding them :thumbs: .